Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Aix raid ?
Operating Systems AIX Aix raid ? Post 302231065 by shockneck on Monday 1st of September 2008 12:43:15 PM
Old 09-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by art
[...] I've had a bad experience with our older p-series servers. When a disk failed in the rootvg the server became extremely busy trying to correct the problem which resulted in a software crash.
Hopefully if the disks is handled by a RAID controller this will not be a problem.
As long as you maintain a correctly mirrored rootvg an AIX server will not run into deep trouble when one disk fails. That a server becomes "extremely busy" after a disk went missing sounds like the server was trying to find information that was not on the remaining disk.
So for reasons of safe operation there is rarely a need for a physical raid adapter. If you are new to AIX and unsure about how to use mirroring, you might use the mirrorvg command to mirror your rootvg. This has the advantage over mklvcopy that one cannot forget to mirror the boot device hd5 or the paging space.
When you add an LV later make sure that you tell LVM to create 2 copies (default is just 1 - even if the VG is mirrored already, leaving you with a partly mirrored VG) and place each copy on a separate disk. This way you will hardly run into dire straits when a disk goes missing.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Creating RAID 5 for AIX 5.2

Hi guys!! I terribly need help in setting up RAID 5 for a P615 IBM server. IBM said that I needed a diagnostic cd but it will take them 6 weeks to send it to me. I need help PLEASE Server configuration: P615 IBM Server 3 pcs 36.4GB HDD Dual Channel SCSI RAID Enab. Card Thank you, Jose (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

2. AIX

how to identify the raid type on aix

hi how to identify the raid type on aix? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

4. Solaris

implementing RAID 1 from RAID 5

Dear ALl, I have a RAID 5 volume which is as below d120 r 60GB c1t2d0s5 c1t3d0s5 c1t4d0s5 c1t5d0s5 d7 r 99GB c1t2d0s0 c1t3d0s0 c1t4d0s0 c1t5d0s0 d110 r 99GB c1t2d0s4 c1t3d0s4 c1t4d0s4 c1t5d0s4 d8 r 99GB c1t2d0s1 c1t3d0s1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Creation of Raid 01 and Raid 10

Hello All, I have read enough of texts on Raid 01 and Raid 10 on solaris :wall: . But no-where found a way to create them using SVM. Some one pls tell me how to do or Post some link if that helps. TIA Curious solarister (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solarister
1 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

9. AIX

SAN DISK raid level in AIX

Hello All, Our servers having emc clarion for the data disks. Is that possible to see those san disks raid level from AIX ? Am having AIX 6.1 and EMC clarion 5.5. Regards, Gowtham.G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies
volrootmir(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrootmir(8)

NAME
volrootmir - Mirror areas necessary for booting to a new disk SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volrootmir [-a] [nconfig=count] target_disk [swap=target_partition] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be mirrored, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. DESCRIPTION
The volrootmir script causes a mirror copy of areas of the root disk involved in booting to be made on the specified target disk. When used without the -a option, volrootmir adds mirrors of the root and swap volumes and allocates them on the new disk. In addition, all disk regions required for booting are set up and partitions for the new volume mirrors are created. When used with the -a option, volrootmir mirrors all in-use partitions on the system disk. To mirror a swap volume that is on a separate disk from the root volume, the swap attribute must be used to specify a separate target for the swap mirror. The target disk(s) must be at least as large as the sum of the sizes of rootvol and swapvol. Also, the physical disk should not have any disk partition in use. This script can be called from the voldiskadm menus by choosing the Mirror volumes on a disk operation. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=2. Specifies that the swap volume, swapvol, be mirrored on a separate disk, as specified by target_partition. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors the rootvol and swapvol volumes onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a differ- ent disk from rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol, swapvol, and any other volumes on the root disk onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a different disk from rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol on disk dsk3, swapvol onto partition dsk7d, and any other volumes on the root disk onto disk dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 swap=dsk7d The following command mirrors rootvol onto disk dsk3 and swapvol onto partition dsk7d. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 swap=dsk7d SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8) volrootmir(8)