Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: WRITE a message in console
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting WRITE a message in console Post 302231025 by guruparan18 on Monday 1st of September 2008 09:16:50 AM
Old 09-01-2008
Question WRITE a message in console

Hi all,

I have a requirement, where I need to do some calculations and based on the results I need to write a message to the user from a shell script.

Is it possible to `write' inside the script? Something like the below one..
Code:
#! /bin/ksh

write user12 << EOF
Hello World
<<EOF

For me, it produced an error.
Code:
wrt[6]: here document `EOF' unclosed

Any idea please?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console error message

:confused: I receive the following error message when I try to logon to my Solaris 2.6 system; "No utmpx entry. You must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" " What does it mean ? I can't logon to the system at the moment! Any help appreciated. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boristhespider
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console message from Crontab run

I run my nightly backup thru a crontab job. Is there any way to get the message to mount a new tape to the console? Currently it appears to go to an email. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixhelp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To write to console and file

Hi, How can i redirect the traces to both the console and to a file.. The way i was doing was: /home/harika/harika/samp.exe if ; then echo "executed the first exe.." >> /dev/console;/home/harika/harika/trace.txt /home/harika/harika/memset.exe echo "executed the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harikamamidala
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send console message to all users and tty

Hi people, i tried to search in the forum... but didnt found the answer... Sometimes i need to send a console message to all users in all tty, like reboot or shutdown does... But i cant find how to do that. Someone know? Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfca
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stop the message on the console

Hi, Sun Solaris. I am working on the console, I have pulled the network cable out. I am in the process of changing the IP address and few others thing. But this message comes every few seconds. SUNW,hme0: Link Down - cable problem? SUNW,hme0: Link Down - cable problem? It's very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Write message to another user on same network

On our home network, with 2 Macbook pros running OS X 10.6.*, I would like be able to popup a message to the user of the other computer. Is there a way I can "call" from one computer to another not using skype, or ichat or any application that the user has to have running? I guess first I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: allelopath
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change banner message for console login?

Hi All, Whenever I login to server via console, after providing username (root) it displays a banner message. I want to remove this message Serverabc : root Welcome to Server !!! Password: It is Centos 5.4 box. I have checked /etc/issue and /etc/motd. It does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changes to write output to logfile and console

Friends, Below is the script which writes output to LOGFILE, however I want the entire log written to LOGFILE and also console. Please suggest me the changes I need to do here. #!/bin/ksh x=${0##*/} LOGFILE="x.log" echo "CAUTION : Files once deleted cannot be restored" printf 'Would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fop4658
8 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)