Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Error is “sticky” on board4 J3400. Post 302230006 by rhfrommn on Thursday 28th of August 2008 11:30:06 AM
Old 08-28-2008
I agree with the 2 above responses. "Sticky" means a memory error that the kernel can detect and fix but keeps repeating. That is why prtdiag looks ok - the memory stick hasn't totally failed yet so if the kernel keeps correcting the errors the hardware diags think it is ok.

If it keeps coming up so regularly like this eventually it will become uncorrectable and crash your box. May be in 5 minutes, may be in 5 years. But since you don't know when it will crash the prudent thing is to replace the failing memory ASAP, before it gets any more serious.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky bit

I have a questions, whose answer may be very obvious: Of what use is the sticky-bit permission on a Unix system? I have looked at the chmod(1) man page on our HP-UX playground system, and haven't been given much explanation: Add or delete the save-text-image-on-file- execution (sticky... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sticky bit??

I have a script that I want to be able to let user 'wcs1234' execute it, but when it runs, it will do so under the higher authority of 'cdunix'. It is my understanding that I accomplish this with a sticky bit. I have tried every variation of this but am unable to get this to work. my script is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sticky bit

What command string would you use to set the sticky bit on a directory that you own? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mma_buc_98
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky Bit

I have the sticky bit set on my /tmp directory, but users are still able to remove files that are not owned by them. Does the /etc/group file get invloved in securing these files ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rob11g
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sticky bit

Hi frns, What is command to list out all dir's for which sticky bit has been set. Regards, Manu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manu.vmr
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky Bit

Hi, could anyone please send me a link to learn/ know more about sticky bits? I am still not clear on the application of using a sticky bits. Thanks for your help. Regards, UP (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teenu18
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky Bit????

HI What is sticky bit? how can be see if the sticky bit for file is set? WHat is meaning of sticky bit set on Directory? What is the syntax to set the sticky bit? With example Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sticky bit

Hi, I understand the purpose of sticky bit on directories. But I am not very clear about what the sticky bit do on a file. Can any one explain me in detail and with example please. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky Folders

Hello everyone I've got a shell script that kicks off a number of django web sites. It allocates socket files in a sockets folder that the nginx uses to pass requests upstream. Problem is on my new ubuntu box, the script seems to run but the socket files that are created don't have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjdavies
1 Replies
prtdiag(1M)															       prtdiag(1M)

NAME
prtdiag - display system diagnostic information SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/prtdiag [-v] [-l] prtdiag displays system configuration and diagnostic information on sun4u and sun4v systems. The diagnostic information lists any failed field replaceable units (FRUs) in the system. The interface, output, and location in the directory hierarchy for prtdiag are uncommitted and subject to change in future releases. prtdiag does not display diagnostic information and environmental status when executed on the Sun Enterprise 10000 server. See the /var/opt/SUNWssp/adm/${SUNW_HOSTNAME}/messages file on the system service processor (SSP) to obtain such information for this server. The following options are supported: -l Log output. If failures or errors exist in the system, output this information to syslogd(1M) only. -v Verbose mode. Displays the time of the most recent AC Power failure, and the most recent hardware fatal error information, and (if applicable) environmental status. The hardware fatal error information is useful to repair and manufacturing for detailed diagnos- tics of FRUs. The following exit values are returned: 0 No failures or errors are detected in the system. 1 Failures or errors are detected in the system. 2 An internal prtdiag error occurred, for example, out of memory. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWkvm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable* | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ *The output is unstable. modinfo(1M), prtconf(1M), psrinfo(1M), sysdef(1M), syslogd(1M), attributes(5), openprom(7D) NOTES
Not all diagnostic and system information is available on every Solaris platforn, and therefore cannot be displayed by prtdiag. On those platforms, further information can be obtained from the System Controller. 29 Aug 2005 prtdiag(1M)