Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove "../.. from a path" Post 302229946 by era on Thursday 28th of August 2008 08:03:19 AM
Old 08-28-2008
Code:
sed 's%^\.\./\.\.%%' file

If the search string doesn't match then no substitution will take place.

In your detailed example you showed that the leading slash should remain so this will turn the input ../../somepath into /somepath

If you already have the value in a variable, you can use the substitution facilities of the shell; this is more economical, robust, and elegant than passing the string to sed and reading it back.

Code:
PATH=${PATH#../..}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove path string from file (string contains "/")

This is the way sed -i 's/home/$USER/.config/hello_there//g' /home/$USER/.gnomerc But, as far as I saw you cannot add any "/" in the string you want to remove.... So, what should I do in order to remove this path (which contains "/") ?:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \)

These three finds worked as expected: $ find . -iname "*.PDF" $ find . -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \) $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" They all returned the match: ./folder/file.pdf :b: This find returned no matches: $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
XtFindFile(3)							   XT FUNCTIONS 						     XtFindFile(3)

NAME
XtFindFile - search for a file using substitutions in the path list SYNTAX
String XtFindFile(String path, Substitution substitutions, Cardinal num_substitutions, XtFilePredicate predicate); ARGUMENTS
path Specifies a path of file names, including substitution characters. substitutions Specifies a list of substitutions to make into a path. num_substitutions Specifies the number of substitutions passed in. predicate Specifies a procedure to call to judge a potential file name, or NULL. DESCRIPTION
The path parameter specifies a string that consists of a series of potential file names delimited by colons. Within each name, the percent character specifies a string substitution selected by the following character. The character sequence ``%:'' specifies an embedded colon that is not a delimiter; the sequence is replaced by a single colon. The character sequence ``%%'' specifies a percent character that does not introduce a substitution; the sequence is replaced by a single percent character. If a percent character is followed by any other character, XtFindFile looks through the specified substitutions for that character in the match field and if found replaces the percent and match characters with the string in the corresponding substitution field. A substitution field entry of NULL is equivalent to a pointer to an empty string. If the operating system does not interpret multiple embedded name separators in the path (i.e., ``/'' in POSIX) the same way as a single separator, XtFindFile will collapse multiple separators into a single one after performing all string substitutions. Except for collapsing embedded separators, the contents of the string substitutions are not interpreted by XtFindFile and may therefore contain any operating-system-dependent characters, including additional name separators. Each resulting string is passed to the predicate procedure until a string is found for which the procedure returns True; this string is the return value for XtFindFile. If no string yields a True return from the predicate, XtFindFile returns NULL. If the predicate parameter is NULL, an internal procedure that checks if the file exists, is readable, and is not a directory will be used. It is the responsibility of the caller to free the returned string using XtFree when it is no longer needed. SEE ALSO
X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libXt 1.0.5 XtFindFile(3)