Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell Script for file naming
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Script for file naming Post 302229943 by Franklin52 on Thursday 28th of August 2008 07:50:14 AM
Old 08-28-2008
Can you post the script that produces the files within code tags (select the code and click on the # above the edit window)?

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables Naming in Korn Shell

Hi every body, I want to know what is the different between the following: $VAR1 ${VAR2} "${VAR3}" Are they equivalent? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

naming a file to hostname

I am running a script remotely to another client. after it runs it places the file in /tmp. I need the file in /tmp to be renamed to the local hostname. but when i set the variable it names the file to my local hostname. how do i fix that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue in naming a file

Hi, I want to create a file named 'abc(+1)' and append the data of file 'abc' to it. But getting error as unexpected'(' when i tried to use the following command. cat abc > abc(+1) Is there any other way to include brackets along with +1 in the file name? TIA. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalr
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

#file naming

hi all, Please advise at what circumstance those file will become -rwxr-xr-x 1 psa psa 1969088 Aug 18 2006 #libaa.sl -rwx------ 1 psa psa 2166784 Jul 25 2006 #libcrypto.sl.0.9.7 -rwx------ 1 psa psa 904040 Jul 25 2006 #libxxx.sl -rwx------ 1 psa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Naming convention script

OK, so a quick background: I am a sys admin for a 1:1 deployment in academia with Macbooks, totaling around 6,000. Macbooks get shifted around from building to building and go to and from the repair center if hardware repair is needed. Often, some machines will get moved from one building to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file naming question

Hi, I need some help! I have a file in which i im splitting into 20 different files each called model_001.in model_002.in etc... i would like to make directory for each file using only the name and not the extension so that the directory names are model_001 model_002 etc. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File splitting, naming file according to internal field

Hi All, I have a rather stange set of requirements that I'm hoping someone here could help me with. We receive a file that is actually a concatenation of 4 files (don't believe this would change, but ideally the solution would handle n files). The super-file looks like:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leedor
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File naming format

Hi, su - oracle<<EOC export PATH=${PATH}:${ORACLE_HOME}/bin exit EOC set `sqlplus -S $user_name/$password@$tns<<EOS set head off select min(time),max(time) from products; exit; EOS` var1=$1 var2=$2 su - oracle -c "exp user/pass@localdb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

file naming in a script

#!/bin/bash while read inputline do what="$inputline" echo $what; if ; then exit fi $reextend $what $print ls -a done this is my code i am trying to change all of the file types of a certain directory to another file type but im not all the way there can someone help please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: domdom110
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with naming the file

Hi, I have a folder that contains files abc.txt def.txt ....and so on Inside abc.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE 4|Chelerythrine|abcb11_earlyIdentification_Stronginhib_washed_ligprep|sdf|1|dock Inside def.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossi
6 Replies
DIRDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							DIRDIFF(1)

NAME
dirdiff - display differences and merge changes between directory trees SYNOPSIS
dirdiff [-a|--all] [-o|--only pattern] [-I|--ignore pattern] [-r|--rcs] [-t|--bktag] [-c|--context num] [-b] [-w] [-B] [-i] [-d] [-S] [-k] dir1 dir2 ... OPTIONS
-a,--all Don't exclude any files. -o,--only pattern Only process files matching pattern. -I,--ignore pattern Don't process files matching pattern. -r,--rcs Ignore differences in RCS strings. -t,--bktag Ignore differences in Bitkeeper strings. -c,--context num Set number of lines of context to show. -b,-w,-B,-i,-d Pass these on to diff. -S Show files that are the same in the file list. -K Enable bitkeeper support. DESCRIPTION
Dirdiff is a graphical tool for displaying the differences between directory trees (up to 5) and for merging changes from one tree into another. At startup, dirdiff displays a main window with a list of the files that are different between the trees. Colored squares are used to indicate the relative ages of the versions. Files are like leaves on a deciduous tree: the newest ones are green, and then they turn yel- low, orange, and red as they get older. Missing files are black, and directories are white. To see the differences between two versions of a file, double-click on the file name. By default, the first and last versions are com- pared, but this can be changed using the Diff menu in the main window. In the differences window, there are checkboxes to the left of all the sections which are different. You can use button 1 to select an individual checkbox, or shift-button 1 or button 3 to select a whole group. Selecting a line means that you are asking for that change to be made when you update either of the files using the Merge menu. The line will be removed if it is already present or added if it is not present. To copy from one tree to another, click on the file name and select the appropriate copy operation from the Copy menu of the main window. Selecting Make patch from the File menu of the main window produces a file describing the changes between the files that can be applied by the patch tool. You can edit the patch before saving, and may wish to add explanatory text, instructions, or patch Prereq lines at the beginning. To save the patch, enter a filename in the patch window relative to the current directory, and choose Save. This will also close the window. If you are sending out patches, then the from directory should be the original version of the source. Try to make sure that the two files have the same number of leading directories. See the patch(1) man page for more information. NOTES
Dirdiff needs to be able to load the libfilecmp.so.0.0 shared library for the -r or -t flags to work. SEE ALSO
diff(1) patch(1) AUTHOR
Paul Mackerras May 2002 DIRDIFF(1)