Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? mouse/keyboard wrist lesions. Post 302229553 by sinewalker on Wednesday 27th of August 2008 07:45:22 AM
Old 08-27-2008
check your posture, try dvorak

I didn't have anything as serious as tendonitis, but I did get shooting pains up my arms. Two big wins for me were:

1) make sure your posture is correct. Install a program like workrave (Workrave) and when it reminds you to take micro-breaks, remember to sit properly and take a drink of water too.

2) give the dvorak simplified keyboard a go. it's easy to learn and a *lot* more comfortable than QWERTY, plus all systems have it pre-installed because it's a standard. A good place to look for info was dvzine.org which is now extinct, but you can find it in the wayback machine at archive.org. A good online tutor is A Basic Course in Dvorak (google "abcd dvorak")

I won't vouch for Dvorak speed claims, but it has definately solved the problem of pains in my arms. Plus because I'm actually a touch-typist now (never learned QWERTY after 15 years!) I think that has helped at least as much as the different layout, so if you're reluctant to try it, at least learn to type properly on "normal" keyboards.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 11.11: X doesn't recognize mouse and keyboard

hi folks, i've got a blank hp visualize C3000 workstation and installed HP-UX 11.11. When I want to start X, I get the following error message: # X Fatal server error: Couldn't open X pointer device! Is one attached? I've connected an mouse and a keyboard with an usb/ps2 connector.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grisu
5 Replies

2. AIX

keyboard and mouse not working in graphical login

Dear frnz I face a weird issue with p275 workstation with Aix 5.1 After booting the workstation i am getting dt login screen and i am not able to key in user name and passwd .The mouse pointer is moving but the mouse buttons doesnt work. i am able to login through rsh to the machine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris don't boot without mouse and keyboard

Hi guys, I've installed Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10) in a x86 box. I will put this box as a home server to store my files/backups/whatterver shared stuff replacing my old NetBSD machine. But, after installed and correctly configured, when I tried to boot this box without keybord and mouse (USB both),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmerman
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check keyboard and mouse activity

I need help from someone that is good at making scripts. I'm trying to make a script file that checks for keyboard and mouse activity during 1 am to 8 am and logs you off if it detects activity. I can't find anything useful in google. ---------- Post updated 06-30-10 at 12:33 AM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

5. SCO

X Server -> keyboard and mouse are freezing

hi I've configured X Server using Video Configuration Manager on SCO 5.0.6, but the keyboard and mouse are freezing after 5 minutes on the graphical login mask. ---------- Post updated at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:43 AM ---------- BTW I finished the configuration,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

6. AIX

Keyboard Mouse Display not working with Pseries

Hello, Just got a refurbished Pseries when I boot the machine , everything is okay, that is no attention light and panel shows 01 B N but there is nothing on the display ( monitor / console ) which is plugged into the video card port of pseries. The display is empty.... The keyboard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Keyboard vs mouse

Which Input device do you use the most ? for me... keyboard ofcourse !! (56 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpraveen84
56 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Keyboard and Mouse Issue

Hello All, PC: CuBox-i (*i.MX6) Mini-PC OS: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (armv7hl) Kernel: 3.14.14-cubox-i # uname -a Linux CuBox-HQ 3.14.14-cubox-i #1 SMP Sat Sep 13 03:48:24 UTC 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/LinuxSo I've been having this random issue happen on this PC where a few strange... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command if no mouse or keyboard input

I would like a script that would run pm-suspend if there has been no keyboard or mouse input for a specified time. ------ Post updated at 11:17 AM ------ Never mind. I found a setting in power management that does what I need. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
0 Replies
XGALAGA(6x)															       XGALAGA(6x)

NAME
xgalaga - X11 version of the famous Galaga game SYNOPSIS
xgalaga [options] xgalaga-hyperspace [options] INSTRUCTIONS
It's Galaga, you know how to play Galaga, stop bothering me. (Ship follows the mouse, button fires. Auto-fire by holding it down, so no- one accuses me of breaking their mouse!) The xgalaga-hyperspace version features some new weapons and different gameplay. OPTIONS
-scores Prints out the high score file and exits -display host:dpy Set your display -mouse Use mouse control (same as 'm'). -keyboard Use keyboard control (same as 'k'). If you have a joystick it can also be used if you select keyboard control. -nosound Turn sound OFF -level lvl Choose starting level (>= 1) -window Run in a window, not full screen. Full screen is the default. -winsize widthxheight Set window size. -b Turn buffered mode off, use this if it runs too slowly. Will cause flicker, maybe lots, maybe only a little. KEYBOARD COMMANDS
p - pauses q - end this game Q - end xgalaga immediately b - Toggle buffering (flicker vs. speed.) m - Use mouse control. Note that you may switch in mid-game. k - Use keyboard control s - Toggle sound x - use your shields (xgalaga-hyperspace only) alt-enter - Toggle full screen node. AUTHORS
Joe Rumsey, <joe@rumsey.org> (Original author) Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com> (man page) 2.1 8 February 2008 XGALAGA(6x)