Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help rescue my data
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help rescue my data Post 302229479 by soba on Wednesday 27th of August 2008 04:57:33 AM
Old 08-27-2008
Question help rescue my data

I was runing suse 10.2 and windows ,i had installed windows on a separate 40 gb hard disk and linux on a 160 gb disk which it shrunk and left some 60 gb which were readable in windows.
Due to the fact that i store alot of data in the windows partions i used all the extra 60gb which where readable on the 160 linux disk but still wanted more disk space so i decided to remove the other 100 gb linux was using up (which it had partitioned into separate drives) ...so that i could later come up with a scheme where linux would use less space.

The sad and naive part of my story is that i deleted these linux partions using the disk managment tool in windows, but i left the ones with my data intact.
When i restarted, the computer could not load any o.s (since i had deleted the linux partitions which included the boot for linux and windows, it used to dual boot ).
I tried to reinstall linux but it couldnt be done on the 160gb drive (thats the message i got during installion) so i formated the 40gb disk reinstalled windows and linux (on the 40gb) so that through, linux i could recover my windows data (the 60gb on 160gb the linux drive) but linux cannot read this drive though formating/partitioning tool in yast can and it reads it as a linux native it says i can only format this disk, it shows that the disk still has data on it and all i want to do is rescue the 60gb windows data on that disk ... please help.

Last edited by soba; 08-27-2008 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: additional information

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Xen VM rescue mode

Hi all, I am running xen virtual machine on centos 5 and xen gust o.s is centos. I cannot boot my xen vm machine it saying cannot find /bin/sh to execute. I want to go to rescue mode of my xen vm machine. I know how to do on actual physical machine but how i can enter in rescue mode of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: email-lalit
1 Replies

2. Linux

Xen VM rescue mode

Hi all, I am running xen virtual machine on centos 5 and xen gust o.s is centos. I cannot boot my xen vm machine it saying cannot find /bin/sh to execute. I want to go to rescue mode of my xen vm machine. I know how to do on actual physical machine but how i can enter in rescue mode of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: email-lalit
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get cpanel backup data in rescue mode?

How to get cpanel backup data in rescue mode? Server OS 6.3 minimal with cPanel /dev/sdb1 is main partition root@rescue ~ # fdisk -l Anyone can help Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydul
0 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

{HELP}How do the rescue win 7 os

:confused:How do the rescue win 7 os WITHOUT REINSTALL Windows 7 How do the rescue win 7 os without the dual system don't pre-set the 2 hard diskS combined to win 7x64 + XP booting {SET WIN 7 FIRST}:mad: REMOVED xp'S HD THEN REBOOT the operating system Windows 7 single Font CAN not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: will734
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to fix and manage data in rescue mode?

Hello, I am running ubuntu 14.04 My server has problems again. I need to manage system files in rescue mode, backup some files, edit /etc/crontab and rc.local files etc. root@rescue:~# cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : md2 : active raid1 sda2 sdb2 4193216 blocks md3 :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies
FDFORMAT(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       FDFORMAT(8)

NAME
fdformat - Low-level formats a floppy disk SYNOPSIS
fdformat [-n] device DESCRIPTION
fdformat does a low level format on a floppy disk. device is usually one of the following (for floppy devices, the major = 2, and the minor is shown for informational purposes only): /dev/fd0d360 (minor = 4) /dev/fd0h1200 (minor = 8) /dev/fd0D360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0H360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0D720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0H720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0h360 (minor = 20) /dev/fd0h720 (minor = 24) /dev/fd0H1440 (minor = 28) /dev/fd1d360 (minor = 5) /dev/fd1h1200 (minor = 9) /dev/fd1D360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1H360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1D720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1H720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1h360 (minor = 21) /dev/fd1h720 (minor = 25) /dev/fd1H1440 (minor = 29) The generic floppy devices, /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1, will fail to work with fdformat when a non-standard format is being used, or if the for- mat has not been autodetected earlier. In this case, use setfdprm(8) to load the disk parameters. OPTIONS
-n No verify. This option will disable the verification that is performed after the format. SEE ALSO
fd(4), setfdprm(8), mkfs(8), emkfs(8) AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) AVAILABILITY
The fdformat command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux 0.99 1 February 1993 FDFORMAT(8)