Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix code to fetch the first field till space in a variable Post 302229456 by era on Wednesday 27th of August 2008 04:05:23 AM
Old 08-27-2008
It's both safer and more efficient to use the shell's built-in variable substitution syntax.

Code:
y=${x% *}

To be sure, echo $x without double-quoting the variable name $x will wreck the whitespace in the variable's value.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fetch Variable value

Hi Guys, I have written a script that declares all the variables and its values in a conf file. Now i use a variable whose value i need to change it in one of the sub-file that is used in the script. In the startup file i want to print or check its value. The value get changed and printed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print lines till till a pattern is matched in loop

Dear All I have a file like this 112534554 446538656 444695656 225696966 226569744 228787874 113536566 443533535 222564552 115464656 225445345 225533234 I want to cut the file into different parts where the first two columns are '11' . The first two columns will be either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

way to print all the string till we get a space and a number

Is there any way to print all the string till we get a space and a number and store it a variable for eg we have string java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host 12 All I want is to store "java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line starting from space till end.

Hi, I have a code tag, from which i have the below snippet: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=ODBC> intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=SYBASE> I want the output like: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB intelrpt.GetCMB_FB That is remove the lines starting from WHITESPACE till end. Please help. I am new to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash take word after specific point and till next space?

Hello, I have an output like Interface Chipset Driver wlan0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn - and I want to take only the 'wlan0' string. This can be done by a="Interface Chipset Driver wlan0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn - " b=${a:25:6} echo $bThe thing is that wlan0 can be something else, like eth0 or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print characters till the next space when the pattern is found

i have a file which contains alphanumeric data in every line. what i need is the data after certain pattern. the data after the pattern is not of fixed length so i need the data till the space after the pattern. Input file: bfdkasfbdfg khffkf lkdhfhdf pattern (datarequired data not required)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - trim white space from a field / variable

Hi, Consider the data (FS = |): 1| England |end 2| New Zealand |end 3|Australia|end 4| Some Made Up Country |end 5| West Indies|end I want the output to be (i.e. without the leading and trailing white space from $2) England New Zealand Australia Some Made Up Country West... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch entries in front of specific word till next word

Hi all I have following file which I have to edit for research purpose file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png body, div, table, thead, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, p { font-family: "Liberation Sans"; font-size: x-small; } Drug: KRP-104 QD Drug: Placebo Drug: Metformin|Drug:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Chopra
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] Unable to fetch the UNIX variable information

I am having a file called variable_info.ksh in that file I am having following global variable information like… EMAIL_PATH=/var/mail TMP_PATH=/home/tmp And we are having another temporary parameter file abcd.txt, in that file we are having the following information like… EMAIL|EMAI_PATH I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesahammad
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch field to variable

Input.txt NOTE1|VALUE1|HMM|UPSTR| NOTE2||HMP|UPSTR| NOTE3|VALUE3|HML|UPSTR| NOTE4||HMD|UPSTR| NOTE5|VALUE5|HMS|UPSTR| NOTE6|VALUE6|HSD|UPSTR| NOTE7||HSS|UPSTR| NOTE8|VALUE8|HEE|UPSTR| NOTE9|VALUE9|HER|DOWNSTR| NOTE50|VALUE1|HEE|DOWNSTR| I am trying to read field 1, 2 and 3 from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joselouis
4 Replies
shishi_kdcreq_till(3)						      shishi						     shishi_kdcreq_till(3)

NAME
shishi_kdcreq_till - API function SYNOPSIS
#include <shishi.h> int shishi_kdcreq_till(Shishi * handle, Shishi_asn1 kdcreq, char ** till, size_t * tilllen); ARGUMENTS
Shishi * handle Shishi library handle create by shishi_init(). Shishi_asn1 kdcreq KDC-REQ variable to get client name from. char ** till pointer to newly allocated zero terminated string containing "till" field with generalized time. May be NULL (to only populate realmlen). size_t * tilllen pointer to length of till on output, excluding terminating zero. May be NULL (to only populate tilllen). DESCRIPTION
Get "till" field (i.e. "endtime") in KDC-REQ, as zero-terminated string. The string is typically 15 characters long. The string is allo- cated by this function, and it is the responsibility of the caller to deallocate it. Note that the output length realmlen does not include the terminating zero. RETURN VALUE
Returns SHISHI_OK iff successful. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-shishi@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2010 Simon Josefsson. Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and this notice are preserved. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for shishi is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and shishi programs are properly installed at your site, the command info shishi should give you access to the complete manual. shishi 1.0.1 shishi_kdcreq_till(3)