Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting combining lines between 2 pattern using awk Post 302229374 by era on Tuesday 26th of August 2008 06:56:54 PM
Old 08-26-2008
Use printf to print a space and the current line without a trailing newline. When you see a new integer or end of file, printf a newline and the current line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help appending lines/combining lines within a file...

Is there a way to combine two lines onto a single line...append the following line onto the previous line? I have the following file that contains some blank lines and some lines I would like to append to the previous line... current file: checking dsk c19t2d6 checking dsk c19t2d7 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help combining lines in awk

I seem to have gotten myself in over my head on this one. I need help combining lines together. I have a text file containing 24,000 lines (exactly why I need awk) due to bad formatting it has separated the lines (ideally it should be 12,000 lines total). Example of file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueheed
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd Inputfile: Output : Appreciate help on this. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and combining lines to stdout

I am trying to come up with a good approach to taking a file and only printing 10 columns. The input file has duplicate lines but only the 6th column has real value. I just need to combine the lines and output 1 line per example file: 1 2.0765 AA 10 0.6557 ..... 1 2.0765 AA 10 0.6655 ..... 2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mykey242
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading two lines in a while loop and combining the lines

Dear all, I have a file like this: imput scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000 scaffold_0 25000 scaffold_1 1 scaffold_1 10000 scaffold_1 20000 scaffold_1 23283 and I want the output like this: scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines before and until next pattern in file /awk, sed

Hi, I need to get specific parts in a large file. I need to: Get a line containing an IP address, and read from there to another line saying ***SNMP-END*** So, I have the start and the end well defined, but the problem is that apparently the awk command using the -F option doesn't work... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print all lines after a pattern is found

Is there a way with aw to print all lines after a string is found There is a file like this ....... ........ 2012/19/11 :11.58 PM some data lne no date 2012/19/11 :11.59 PM some other data 2012/20/11 :12.00 AM some other data some line without dates some more lines without dates... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] find pattern, change next two lines

Hi, hope you can help me... It seems like a straightforward problem, but I haven't had any success so far using my basic scripting and awk "skills": I need to find a pattern /VEL/ in an input file that looks like this: 1110SOL OW25489 1.907 7.816 26.338 -0.4365 0.4100 -0.0736 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to remove pattern and lines above pattern

In the awk below I am trying to remove all lines above and including the pattern Test or Test2. Each block is seperated by a newline and Test2 also appears in the lines to keep but it will always have additional text after it. The Test to remove will not. The awk executed until the || was added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)