Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming does any one know how to solve? Post 302229272 by redoubtable on Tuesday 26th of August 2008 03:32:53 PM
Old 08-26-2008
I think we're failing to communicate due to my poor English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
On the contrary if performance really matters one would go with a dynamic solution in order to minimize the overhead of allocating a very large memory segment and using only a small portion of it. A static solution is not optimized in terms of memory management.
This is a question of circumstance, memory access speed is generally the same for both static and dynamic memory but if you're creating a program where (malloc()ing) and free()ing entries happens too often a static implementation (with proper algorithms to avoid overflows) should be prefered.

Quote:
Why would you need to expand a static array. Don't you think that's an oxymoron? If you need to expand an array it becomes dynamic by default. The only case where that solution won't work is the gray scenario you suggested where the number of allocated entries is more than the used ones; as in the case below where the array has 10 entries allocated and only 5 are used. Smilie
I was not referring about expanding the array itself! I was talking about expanding the number of entries inside the array (so called "gray scenario"). The gray situation has some indications. For instance, if the proper algorithm (avoid bound overflows) is used and we're going to add and remove many entries at a time (for example, buffer purposes).

Quote:
You won't need double level of indirection...the memory returned by malloc() will be assigned to a pointer to an object of type struct empRec that is a single level of indirection. My earlier post showed that scenario.
Yes I never said it was imperative I just said that you where proposing a one-level solution when the user was having a two-leveled problem. I just said that pointer you refer would have to be linked inside a list (linked lists) to fulfill the user's problem or be inside a double level pointer.

IMHO the best solution is not generally applied to every case hence there is no point saying "dynamic is the best way" or "static is the best way". The best solution is that which fits the requirements and has best performance.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to solve this

I have to write an script for.. CUST: 123 trans: some contents CUST: 1234 trans: some contents Now wat i have to do is this: CUST:123 akash trans: some contents CUST:1234 akash1 trans: I have been able to add... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashag22
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can somebody solve this please

I have to find the files older than 200 days from a path and copy them to some other directory with the current date stamp attached to it. i have written like follows: #!/bin/ksh DSTAMP=$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M") rm $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp touch $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp chmod 777... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can somebody solve this

I have to find the files older than 200 days from a path and copy them to some other directory with the current date stamp attached to it. i have written like follows: #!/bin/ksh DSTAMP=$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M") rm $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp touch $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp chmod 777... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can somebody solve this

I have to find the files older than 200 days from a path and copy them to some other directory with the current date stamp attached to it. i have written like follows: #!/bin/ksh DSTAMP=$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M") rm $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp touch $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp chmod 777... (13 Replies)
13 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

help me to solve it thank you

i thought about to use the commands : wc and sort and mybe more .. i need to write a bash script that recive a list of varuables kaka pele ronaldo beckham zidane messi rivaldo gerrard platini i need the program to print the longest word of the list. word in the output appears on a separate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairpg
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

please help me to solve it

i thought about to use the commands : wc and sort cut and mybe more .. i need to write a bash script that recive a list of varuables kaka pele ronaldo beckham zidane messi rivaldo gerrard platini i need the program to print the longest word of the list. word in the output appears on a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yairpg
0 Replies
ctrsyl.f(3)							      LAPACK							       ctrsyl.f(3)

NAME
ctrsyl.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine ctrsyl (TRANA, TRANB, ISGN, M, N, A, LDA, B, LDB, C, LDC, SCALE, INFO) CTRSYL Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine ctrsyl (characterTRANA, characterTRANB, integerISGN, integerM, integerN, complex, dimension( lda, * )A, integerLDA, complex, dimension( ldb, * )B, integerLDB, complex, dimension( ldc, * )C, integerLDC, realSCALE, integerINFO) CTRSYL Purpose: CTRSYL solves the complex Sylvester matrix equation: op(A)*X + X*op(B) = scale*C or op(A)*X - X*op(B) = scale*C, where op(A) = A or A**H, and A and B are both upper triangular. A is M-by-M and B is N-by-N; the right hand side C and the solution X are M-by-N; and scale is an output scale factor, set <= 1 to avoid overflow in X. Parameters: TRANA TRANA is CHARACTER*1 Specifies the option op(A): = 'N': op(A) = A (No transpose) = 'C': op(A) = A**H (Conjugate transpose) TRANB TRANB is CHARACTER*1 Specifies the option op(B): = 'N': op(B) = B (No transpose) = 'C': op(B) = B**H (Conjugate transpose) ISGN ISGN is INTEGER Specifies the sign in the equation: = +1: solve op(A)*X + X*op(B) = scale*C = -1: solve op(A)*X - X*op(B) = scale*C M M is INTEGER The order of the matrix A, and the number of rows in the matrices X and C. M >= 0. N N is INTEGER The order of the matrix B, and the number of columns in the matrices X and C. N >= 0. A A is COMPLEX array, dimension (LDA,M) The upper triangular matrix A. LDA LDA is INTEGER The leading dimension of the array A. LDA >= max(1,M). B B is COMPLEX array, dimension (LDB,N) The upper triangular matrix B. LDB LDB is INTEGER The leading dimension of the array B. LDB >= max(1,N). C C is COMPLEX array, dimension (LDC,N) On entry, the M-by-N right hand side matrix C. On exit, C is overwritten by the solution matrix X. LDC LDC is INTEGER The leading dimension of the array C. LDC >= max(1,M) SCALE SCALE is REAL The scale factor, scale, set <= 1 to avoid overflow in X. INFO INFO is INTEGER = 0: successful exit < 0: if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value = 1: A and B have common or very close eigenvalues; perturbed values were used to solve the equation (but the matrices A and B are unchanged). Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: November 2011 Definition at line 157 of file ctrsyl.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.1 Sun May 26 2013 ctrsyl.f(3)