Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change date to uppercase
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change date to uppercase Post 302229222 by tekster757 on Tuesday 26th of August 2008 12:58:29 PM
Old 08-26-2008
Change date to uppercase

Hello,

I'm trying to take a 3 character date and change it to uppercase, does anyone know how to do that?

Currently, all commands that I know of for changing strings/variables to uppercase change the command itself to uppercase, not the output.

Here is what I've tried:

date="date +%b"
echo $date
Aug

echo $date | tr "a-z" "A-Z"
DATE +%B
echo "$date" | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'
DATE +%B

OR:
DATE=`echo $date|awk '{print toupper($0)}'`
$DATE
ksh: DATE: not found

OR:
print $date|sed 'y/[a-z]/[A-Z]'
sed: Function y/[a-z]/[A-Z] cannot be parsed.

Does anyone know how to get that date to all CAPS? (as you see above, it currently reads "Aug"...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change date format

I know the command date +"%Y%m%d" can change today's date to digit format as below . $date +"%Y%m%d" 20071217 it works fine . now I want to do it back . If I have a file like below, (in the file , there are three lines, and each line have ; sign , after the ; sign is the date ) , I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to change filenames in a particular directory from lowercase to UPPERCASE

Hi, I need a shell script which changes a bunch of files in a particular directory from lowercase to UPPERCASE. I am not very familiar with shell scripts so a detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks ini advance! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duke_Lukem
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move A File With Same Date,don't Change The Desitination Dir Date

Assume, I created one file three years back and I like to move the file to some other directory with the old date (Creation date)? Is it possible? Explain? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jee.ku2
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date change to tomorrow

I have this code in a script that says it is calculating current date: cur_date=`date -u +%m/%d/%Y` If the script is run today during the day, it returns 12/11/2008 If the script is run today during the night, it returns 12/12/2008 Why does it return tomorrow's date if it was run at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkoay
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Uppercase to Lowercase with some exceptions

I need to change instances of uppercase to lowercase. The change occurs only when all of the characters are capital letters. For instance, if the following was contained in the file: THE BRIGHT DAY it should be: the bright day However: The BRIGHT day should remain the same. Also, if it were... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcgb20
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to uppercase

Hi I have a string(can be mix of upper and lower case) and need the first three chars of the string to be converted to uppercase (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Northpole
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Date Format

Hi Guys, I had a scenario like this.. It seems very silly...dont think it as a home work question.....:) i tried it many ways but i didn't achieve this... start_date=May122011 here i want to change the start_date in to 20110512 start_date=20110512 tell me how can we achive... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to change existing date to current date in a filename?

Suppose i have a list of files in a directory as mentioned below 1. Shankar_04152019_ny.txt 2. Gopi_shan_03122019_mi.txt 3. Siva_mourya_02242019_nd.txt .. . . . . 1000 . Jiva_surya_02282019_nd.txt query : At one shot i want to modify the above all filenames present in one path with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
4 Replies
towlower(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       towlower(3)

NAME
towlower, towupper - Convert uppercase and lowercase wide characters LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc) SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> wint_t towlower ( wint_t wc); wint_t towupper ( wint_t wc); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: towlower(), towupper(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the wide character to convert. DESCRIPTION
The towlower() function converts the uppercase wide character specified by the wc parameter into the corresponding lowercase wide charac- ter. The towupper() function converts the lowercase wide character specified by the wc parameter into the corresponding uppercase wide character. The behavior of the towlower() and towupper() functions are affected by the LC_CTYPE category of the program's locale. [Tru64 UNIX] In a locale where case conversion information is not defined, these functions determine the case of characters according to the rules of the C locale. RETURN VALUES
In the towlower() function, if the wc parameter contains an uppercase wide character that has a corresponding lowercase wide character, that wide character is returned. Otherwise, the wc parameter is returned unchanged. In the towupper() function, if the wc parameter contains a lowercase wide character that has a corresponding uppercase wide character, that wide character is returned. Otherwise, the wc parameter is returned unchanged. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: conv(3), setlocale(3), towctrans(3), wctrans(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off towlower(3)