Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris significance of library locations in solaris8...please help Post 302229179 by jlliagre on Tuesday 26th of August 2008 10:49:24 AM
Old 08-26-2008
And for a better understanding of directories purpose under Solaris, have a look at the filesystem manual page:
Code:
man filesystem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the significance of ~

what does this symbol ~ represent in unix for example.... If i create directories called personal and lab and lab5 and the command chmod 776~/lab5 is issued. What results would i expect to get. basically i know that chmod 776 would prevent others from executing the files in the directory but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the significance of braces and spaces???

Hi , i have few doubts about the braces and spaces which are quite often used: for instance: when i try the belo command it will not work export variable= cat filename rather when i try the cat command without any space it works fine export variable=cat filename and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the significance of . / ?

Many scripts are executed in the following way. . /scriptname Even when the file does not have execute permission, it can be executed this way. How does this work? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

significance of statement

Hi, I am a newbie in unix shell scripting and I am trying to understand the result of the following line : ls -l $1*$4*ready I understand the ls-l but the rest is just really confusing. Any help would be appreciated. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickcarter
3 Replies

5. AIX

Group significance in mkrole aix 5.3

Hello... I am getting ready to create a bunch of groups for several of our servers all of which are running Aix 5.3. We really want to keep people away from using the root login and as such the systems have been hardened using aixpert and if it is absolutely needed people must su -. There are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgaixsysadm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Significance of '{}' \;

What is the Significance of '{}' \; in UNIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shell_Learner
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Significance of forward slash(/) while specifying a directory

What is the significance of the forward slash(/) while specifying a directory? cp -av /dir/ /opt/ and cp -av /dir /opt Does effectively the same job it seems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

8. Solaris

significance of pfiles

What is the significance of pfiles? What is the use of it and how and where to use it?:wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Significance of ':-' while accessing a variable

Hi I was trying to understand what ':-' means when used with variables echo ${x:-10} if Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulfi123786
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Significance of different shells?

I'm taking a LINUX and UNIX class and we are using bash as the shell in terminal. On my mac-book I use zsh only because my professor had a pretty cool start-up file for it. It has benefited me in becoming familiar with different shells. However, I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syregnar86
4 Replies
MKFS(8) 						       System Administration							   MKFS(8)

NAME
mkfs - build a Linux filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs [options] [-t type] [fs-options] device [size] DESCRIPTION
mkfs is used to build a Linux filesystem on a device, usually a hard disk partition. The device argument is either the device name (e.g. /dev/hda1, /dev/sdb2), or a regular file that shall contain the filesystem. The size argument is the number of blocks to be used for the filesystem. The exit code returned by mkfs is 0 on success and 1 on failure. In actuality, mkfs is simply a front-end for the various filesystem builders (mkfs.fstype) available under Linux. The filesystem-specific builder is searched for in a number of directories, like perhaps /sbin, /sbin/fs, /sbin/fs.d, /etc/fs, /etc (the precise list is defined at compile time but at least contains /sbin and /sbin/fs), and finally in the directories listed in the PATH environment variable. Please see the filesystem-specific builder manual pages for further details. OPTIONS
-t, --type type Specify the type of filesystem to be built. If not specified, the default filesystem type (currently ext2) is used. fs-options Filesystem-specific options to be passed to the real filesystem builder. Although not guaranteed, the following options are sup- ported by most filesystem builders. -V, --verbose Produce verbose output, including all filesystem-specific commands that are executed. Specifying this option more than once inhibits execution of any filesystem-specific commands. This is really only useful for testing. -V, --version Display version information and exit. (Option -V will display version information only when it is the only parameter, otherwise it will work as --verbose.) -h, --help Display help and exit. BUGS
All generic options must precede and not be combined with filesystem-specific options. Some filesystem-specific programs do not support the -V (verbose) option, nor return meaningful exit codes. Also, some filesystem-specific programs do not automatically detect the device size and require the size parameter to be specified. AUTHORS
David Engel (david@ods.com) Fred N. van Kempen (waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org) Ron Sommeling (sommel@sci.kun.nl) The manual page was shamelessly adapted from Remy Card's version for the ext2 filesystem. SEE ALSO
fs(5), badblocks(8), fsck(8), mkdosfs(8), mke2fs(8), mkfs.bfs(8), mkfs.ext2(8), mkfs.ext3(8), mkfs.ext4(8), mkfs.minix(8), mkfs.msdos(8), mkfs.vfat(8), mkfs.xfs(8), mkfs.xiafs(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 MKFS(8)