Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I can't figure this out? Quick help with sed Post 302228851 by pmoore4321 on Monday 25th of August 2008 04:04:17 PM
Old 08-25-2008
Wow! Thanks for the quick solution. I bounced all around what you came up with and all I got was errors. Thanks again!

Preston

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

a quick SED question

I have a line EXTDIR=`echo $i | sed 's/\-tar.gz//'` which looks for files ending in -tar.gz, i would like to increase the functionality so that it looks for .tar.gz files as well as -tar.gz. Do i put the - in square brackets with a dot ? like this EXTDIR=`echo $i | sed 's/\tar.gz//'` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick sed question

hey, Im just wondering is there away to get sed to read from a variable eg it doesn't seem to work, i really need to be able to recursively change the same data set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick sed help

what's the code for delete everything before sssss asdf become: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: katrvu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Question on sed command in shell script

Hello, I have the following line in one of my shell scripts. It works fine when the search string($SERACH_STR) exists in the logfile($ALERTLOG) but if the search string does not exist this line errors out at run time. Is there a way to make this line return 0 if it is not able to find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Sed Question

Just want to know why when I do the following in sed, the required is not extracted. echo "ab01cde234" | sed 's/*$//' result: ab01cde (Which is correct) echo "ab01cde234" |sed 's/.*\(*\)$/\1/' result: blank (was expecting 234) or echo "ab01cde234" |sed 's/.*\(\)*$/\1/' result: blank... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick sed/awk question

Hi fellow linux-ers, I have a quick question for you. I have the following text, which I would like to modify: 10 121E(121) 16 Jan 34S 132E 24 Feb 42 176E(176) 18 Sep 21S 164E 25 May 15 171W(-171) 09 Jul How can I do the following 2 modifications using sed and/or awk? 1. in 1st column,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucshi09
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

README: Factorial quick chart with sed & bc:

Hi all, While doing some checks I found a kind of interesting arithmetic factorial chart with sed, sharing this may be simple but thought to share, # n=20;for i in `seq $n`;do printf "`seq $i|xargs|sed 's/ /*/g'`= ";echo "`seq $i|xargs|sed 's/ /*/g'`"| bc;done 1= 1 1*2= 2 1*2*3= 6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with change significant figure to normal figure command

Hi, Below is my input file: Long list of significant figure 1.757E-4 7.51E-3 5.634E-5 . . . Desired output file: 0.0001757 0.00751 0.00005634 . . . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)