Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run several commands at a time Post 302228375 by redoubtable on Sunday 24th of August 2008 07:07:50 AM
Old 08-24-2008
You can also use something like:
Code:
(command1 &) ; (command2 &) ; (command3 &)

This will launch every command into the background and execute all at the same time (barely).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Run commands on a UNIX with NT

Hi I'm trying to automatically run a command on a UNIX (AIX) machine from a Windows NT 4 machine. I can do this manually using the 'rexec' or 'rsh' command but I need an automatic login (on the AIX). In the manual I've found that there should be a '.rhosts' file on the Unix machine in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mark Detrez
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run commands before login

What would be the best way to setup for a Linux box to run a few commands before the user logs in? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woofie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

run commands from a variable

I have a question of how to run commands from a variable where there are more than one commands in the variable under bash. I ran the following commands under bash > command="ls /etc/zshrc; ls /etc/zshenv" > $command The results were: ls: /etc/zshrc;: No such file or directory ls: ls:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankai
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot run commands

It would be helpful if someone could help me out here. The problem I have been having is that I cannot run some commands which are valid - whenever I try to run the command I get the message "command not found". Now, if I run the same command as root it executes. These commands do not have to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

Unable to run some commands in HP-UX

Hi All, I want to get %cpu and %memory utilization for a given process id in HP-UX so am using the following commands 1)TOP -p <PID> am getting error message like Quitting top: pset 26323 doesn't exist,but when am using only TOP command without any options its working fine. 2)ps -e -o pcpu... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramya_Nm
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run multiple commands

Hi All, Is it possible to run second/multiple commands at a time in script before the completion/return of first command? Pls reply. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cns1710
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands at a specific time.

Hello All, I have written a script which which is working fine to a certain logic of it. But i want a part of the script to run two commands at 00:10 hrs every day. These two command are 1. rm -rf /path/to/folder 2. mail the content of a file. How do i achieve this. Thanks. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To run 5 commands at the same time with process from a list

I have many command is list in the variable lists,each command will run a very long time, so I want to run 5 commands at the same time with process till it complete run all the command, lists="aa bb cc dd xx gg blabla zz ......." ( a very long list) can some one point me the codes? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run 2 exec commands

I have to create two instances of jBoss 5.1.0 GA. In order to do that I have to execute the following in start-jboss.sh: find . -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh -Djboss.service.binding.set=ports-01 -c IDMProv -b 0.0.0.0 \; -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joydeep Ghosh
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPT(1)