Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: external DDS4 Tape Drive
Operating Systems AIX external DDS4 Tape Drive Post 302228133 by bakunin on Saturday 23rd of August 2008 03:20:26 AM
Old 08-23-2008
I suppose you will want to shuffle the tape drive between the two machines back and forth, right? If so, there is no point in deleting the device entry in one machine with the process like ravager has described. Just switch off the drive and disconnect it (you will notice the devices status to change from "Available" to "Defined") and connect it to the other machine, run cfgmgr, etc..

When you switch the drive back to the original machine run cfgmgr again and the status will go from "Defined" back to "Available" meaning that you can use the device again.

Basically it is a good idea to keep the device information as accurate as possible. If you plan to permanently remove the drive then do like ravager has described. If you plan to shuffle it back and forth on a more or less regular basis then there is no point in deleting a device entry which you will (re-)create again when connecting the drive.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape drive ?? fast/wide scsi box + dds4??

I'm researching a tape drive + backup software to work across my unix/linux network. Was thinking about a dds4 tape drive (sony's) on my solaris ultra2, with some kind of software that would work across the network to back up my other 2 solaris boxes, plus my 2 linux boxes. What do others use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

2. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External SCSI hard drive

Someone gave me a small external SCSI hard drive for my SunOS 5.8 test system. How do I make Unix see the hard drive? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
2 Replies

4. Solaris

external tape drive DAT 72 problem

Hi all, I have solaris 10 sparc running and working very well but i have problem with external SCSI tape drive DAT 72 problem it seems to me the tape drive is manufactured by SUN microsystems when i ran ls -l /dev/rmt/0 it reveals the following output bash-3.00# mt -f /dev/rmt/0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partitioning External Drive

I am about to set up another triple boot drive, but this one is connected to my MacBook with a USB adapter. I want to be sure that I do not overwrite data on my laptop's internal drive. This is the command I used for the internal drive, which was found in an Ubuntu forum, but the sizes were changed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacInAction
0 Replies

6. Debian

Unable to mount external drive

Trying to mount an external 160GB Toshiba drive but.... this is my dmesg tail output: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=13fd, idProduct=1618 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0 usb 2-2:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ridson
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Need some help with lost data on external drive

Hi all, I would really appreciate some assistance with some lost data on external drive. The external is a Seagate Goflex 3TB drive, Desktop hard drive | External Desktop hard drives | FreeAgent | GoFlex Desk | Seagate The purpose of the drive is to do time machine backups to it from my mac.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Usb external drive

Hi Guys I am using RHEL5 O/S. We have mounted the usb external hard drive to the server as root. I want the user oracle to be able to write into this external hard drive. How do i do that ? Please Help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape manipulating program SYNOPSIS
tapename] command [count] Obsolescent tapename] command [count] DESCRIPTION
is used to give commands to the tape drive. If tapename is not specified, the environment variable is used; if is not defined, the default drive is used. winds the tape in the requested direction (forward or backward), stopping after the specified count EOF marks or records are passed. If count is not specified, one is assumed. Each EOF mark counts as one record. When winding backwards, the tape always stops at the BOT marker, regardless of the number remaining in count. accepts the following commands: Write count EOF marks. Forward space count files. Forward space count records. Backward space count files. Backward space count records. Rewind tape. Rewind tape and go offline. Seek to end of data (DDS and QIC drives only). Write count setmarks (DDS drives only). Forward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Backward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Print status information about the tape drive. Reserve tape drive for sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Release tape drive from sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Spacing operations (back or forward space file or record) leave the tape positioned past the object being spaced to in the direction of motion. That is, backspacing a file leaves the the tape positioned before the file mark, forward spacing a file leaves the tape positioned after the file mark. This is consistent with all classical usage on tapes. WARNINGS
Only raw, no-rewind Berkeley-type devices should be specified. This type of device will not reposition the tape upon close. An example of such a device is or See mt(7) for more details. It is possible to wind the tape beyond the EOT marker and off the end of the reel. A reservation may only be cleared with a release by the host that issued the original reserve. In the event that the host that holds the reservation is no longer available, the command may be used to reclaim the device by issuing a bus device reset. See st(1M) for more details. The reserve/release functionality can only be issued to drives using the or driver. EXAMPLES
Rewind the tape associated with the device file or (if legacy DSF is disabled): FILES
Raw magnetic tape interface (stape) Raw magnetic tape interface (estape) Default tape interface. If legacy DSF is disabled, the default value is AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
dd(1), st(1M), intro(7), mt(7). mt(1)