Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting unique lines from text file Post 302227957 by soliberus on Friday 22nd of August 2008 10:18:14 AM
Old 08-22-2008
Thank you...it works like a charm

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting records with unique fields from a fixed width txt file

Greetings, I would like to extract records from a fixed width text file that have unique field elements. Data is structured like this: John A Smith NY Mary C Jones WA Adam J Clark PA Mary Jones WA Fieldname / start-end position Firstname 1-10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitney
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Text Between Two Unique Lines

Hi all! Im trying to extract a portion of text from a file and put it into a new file. I need all the lines between <Placement> and </Placement> including the Placemark lines themselves. Is there a way to extract all instances of these and not just the first one found? I've tried using sed and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : extracting unique lines based on columns

Hi, snp.txt CHR_A SNP_A BP_A_st BP_A_End CHR_B BP_B SNP_B R2 p-SNP_A p-SNP_B 5 rs1988728 74904317 74904318 5 74960646 rs1427924 0.377333 0.000740085 0.013930081 5 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting several lines of text after a unique string

I'm attempting to write a script to identify users who have sudo access on a server. I only want to extract the ID's of the sudo users after a unique line of text. The list of sudo users goes to the EOF so I only need the script to start after the unique line of text. I already have a script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bouncer
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Multiple Lines from a Text File

Hello. I am sorry if this is a common question but through all my searching, I haven't found an answer which matches what I want to do. I am looking for a sed command that will parse through a large text file and extract lines that start with specific words (which are repeated throughout the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrDumbQuestion
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines from text files in folder based on the numbers in another file

Hello, I have a file ff.txt that looks as follows *ABNA.txt 356 24 36 112 *AC24.txt 457 458 321 2 ABNA.txt and AC24.txt are the files in the folder named foo1. Based on the numbers in the ff.txt file, I want to extract the lines from the corresponding files in the foo1 folder and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohamad
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting unique values of a column from a feed file

Hi Folks, I have the below feed file named abc1.txt in which you can see there is a title and below is the respective values in the rows and it is completely pipe delimited file ,. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)