Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading from 2 files through while loop Post 302227956 by windows on Friday 22nd of August 2008 10:17:34 AM
Old 08-22-2008
Thank you dear otheus

it worked fine. I did it without ' head -1' since i need all the matches for both $a and $b

BUT..

if $a has more than 1 match in data.txt, it wont be printed in tablular form.
I need to export the results to Excel so the can more proccessed further.
lets say from data.txt we have more than 1 line matching $a, and output will be:

Quote:
$a | $b| $adata|$bdata
$adata
$adata
What i need now ,at least, is to have the output as follows:

Quote:
$a | $b| $adata|$bdata
| | $adata |
| | $adata
|

so i can use text wizard in Excel to import it and keep it inshape.
Hope u got my point

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in reading inside a while loop

I am not able to read inside a while though i get the message "inside read" the cursor doesnt prompt from the console cat file | while read ln_new_engine_dirs do echo "inside $ln_new_engine_dirs" if then read nn echo "inside read" fi done Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading from while loop into an array

Hi I have something like cat $HOME/all_dirs | while read ln_old_dirs do if then echo "$ln_all_old_dirs" fi done As you know that the variable ln_all_old_dirs is not accessable from outside the... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading more than one variable into a for loop

Hi, I have a file (details.txt) with 3 rows of variables ie... name postcode age john D fr25dd 25 mark W ab122aa 22 phil C cd343bb 33 What I want to do is read down the list with a loop and add each field into a one line piece of text... So I have a file (test1) which reads;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: starsky
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop not reading last line

hi all, i have a while loop which i am using to read lines into an array: k=0 exec 10<file while read LINE <&10; do ARRAY=$LINE ((k++)) done exec 10>&- echo ${ARRAY} for some reason when i display the array it is not showing the last row in the file. any help appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop reading a record

Hi, I am trying to create a while loop that will do the following: INFILE= list of new records that need to be added after last previous record while read record do find the last record processed create list of new records output to a file echo "$record">> $NEWFILE done ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shortyball24
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading inside a loop

Hi I am trying read in side a do statement but it is not working it is just printing abc before read but not stopping in abc for user input Can anybody please help #!/usr/bin/ksh cat sample_file | while read ln_source3 do param=`echo $ln_source3 | nawk... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to pause a while loop while reading from a file

Hi, I am building a script to grep for a string in all the files from a folder and display the results. I am reading the files one by one by placing the names in other file using while loop my code is as below while read inp do chk=`grep -c "$str" $pth/$inp` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop - reverse reading

All, Here is my for loop export CFGLIST="LIST1 LIST2 LIST3" for i in $CFGLIST do echo print $i done The output will be LIST1 LIST2 LIST3 But i want it display LIST3 LIST2 LIST1 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop not reading all files if ssh fails

The below while loop is in ksh on a SunOs server: SPARC-Enterprise 5.10 The ksh version is: Version M-11/16/88i The intention of the below while loop is to read through a list of file names in files.txt and delete each file from a server, one at a time. The delete works, the problem is that if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LES2013
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line in while loop

Hello Team, i have to read line by line in a while loop, and the input file has:. # The script will start cppunit test application to run unit tests. -LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$CPPUNIT_HOME/lib:\ +LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$VOBTAG/SS_UnitTest/lib:\ $VOBTAG/SS_BFD/BFDSCLI/build:\ ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
7 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)