Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell / awk arrays
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell / awk arrays Post 302227556 by lochraven on Thursday 21st of August 2008 12:18:47 PM
Old 08-21-2008
I see, I was trying to type fast and missed the increment line...

Something I didn't realize though is "not quoting" if the variable is suppose to be an integer.

I usually typeset the variables in my scripts to declare them as integers.

typeset -i anum

In this case, if I set:

typeset -i anum
anum="0"

Does quoting over ride the typeset?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Two or more arrays in Awk

Hi All, I have been working on awk and arrays. I have this small script: cat maillog*|awk -F: '$2=="SMTP-Accept" && $5~/string/ {lastdate=substr($1,1,8); internaluser=$5; v++} END {for (j in v) {print lastdate, v, j}'| sort>> mail.list This gives me the number of mails users are getting. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with awk and arrays

now its owkring - thanks fo rthe help all . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusionX
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in awk

Hi, I've written the following code to manipulate the first 40 lines of a data file into my desired order: #!/bin/awk -f { if (NR<=(4)){ a=a$0" "} else { if ((NR >= (5)) && (NR <= (13))) { b=b$0" " } else {if ((NR >= (14)) && (NR <= (25))){ c=c$0" "} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwoman
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing shell arrays in awk

I am trying to pass a shell array I created to match on values amongst other things. I have a sample: #! /bin/ksh i=0 for id in `cat id.lst` do IDs=$id (( i=i+1 )) done cat sqloutput.txt | awk -F, -v ids=$ID '{ # Do stuff }' But it looks as if I cannot do this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zombywoof
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk arrays can do this better - but how?

Hi, I have spent the afternoon trawling Google, Unix.com and Unix in a Nutshell for information on how awk arrays work, and I'm not really getting too far. I ahve a batch of code that I am pretty sure can be better managed using awk, but I'm not sure how to use awk arrays to do what I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleIdiot
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help to know the various possible uses of awk arrays

Hi to all, I write this time to ask for different syntax or ways of arrays within awk and uses. Since I don't know how actually could work and the real potencial of awk arrays, I look for a proactive reply/help in order to get more information than it seems I'm trying to get. I think I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in awk arrays!

Hi, buddies I am new to shell scripting and trying to solve a problem. I read about arrays in awk that they are quite powerful and are associative in nature. Awk Gurus Please help! I have a file: Id1 pp1 0t4 pp8 xy2 Id43 009y black Id6 red xy2 Id12 new pp1 black I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: geli21
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays with awk

I'm a little stuck and would be grateful of some advice! I have three files, two of which contain reference data that I want to add to a line of output in the third file. I can't seem to get awk to print array contents as I would expect. The input files are: # Input file AAA,OAA,0313... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maccas17
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Arrays

So I'm back once again beating my head off a wall trying to figure out how to get this to work. My end goal is to take input such as what's below, which will be capture in real time with a tail -f from a file or piped output from another command: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShadowBlade72
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in awk

Array A contains lines of numbers from files. Array B contains number of fields for each line of each file. I want to run on array A. To do that I need to know the number of fields for each file in array A (because each line doesn't have the same NF). The NF is in array B, problem is: I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarist684
6 Replies
typeset(1)							   User Commands							typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)