Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk printf formatting using string format specifier. Post 302227315 by kanu_pathak on Thursday 21st of August 2008 03:44:45 AM
Old 08-21-2008
%d option is not working

My code:
Code:
#!/bin/awk -f
BEGIN {

# Enter the numbers
        a = 2;
        b = 3;
        c = a - b;

printf ("The first number is%d\n",a);
                printf ("The second number is%d\n",b);
                printf ("The result is%d\n",c);

exit;
}

result:
Code:
The first number is2
The second number is3
The result is-1

i want there the whole number using format specifier...Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format the output using float in awk{printf}

Hi I'm using awk to manipulate the data in the 6th field of the file xxx_yyy.hrv. The sample data that is available in this field is given below 220731.7100000000000000 When i tried using this command cat xxx_yyy.hrv | awk '{printf("%23.16f\n",$6*-1)}' I get the output as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelarosh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help formatting a string. Something like printf?

Hi I'm having a problem with converting a file: ID X 1 7 1 8 1 3 2 5 2 7 2 2 To something like this: ID X1 X2 X3 1 7 8 3 2 5 7 2 I've tried the following loop: for i in `cat tst.csv| awk -F "," '{print $1}'| uniq`;do grep -h $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for printf string in awk

hi all can any one help me to understand this bdf -t vfxs | awk '/\//{printf("%-30s%-10s%-10s%-10s%-5s%-10s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6)}' i want to understand the numbers %-30S% (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using AWK

Hi, I need to insert a line at a particular line number. I am using the below code: sed $REV_LINO_NO" i\\ # $CURRENT_DATE $NAME Changed pwd for cindy\'s id" file > file1 This code works, but the formatting is not as I expected. For example, I get lines as shown below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using awk printf

Hi Friends, I am trying to insert lines of the below format in a file: # x3a4914 Joe 2010/04/07 # seh Lane 2010/04/07 # IN01379 Larry 2010/04/07 I am formatting the strings as follows using awk printf: awk 'printf "# %s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk printf in required format

Hi my awk variable $0 contains the below data Input file 000001 The Data 000002* The line 2 000003* The line3 output file Req 000001* The Data 000002** The line 2 000003** The line3 one * at column seven needs to be appended to the input lines, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf format in columns

Hi all, i have written this script: awk -F';' ' BEGIN { printf "\n" printf "\n" printf "\n" printf "----------------------------------------------\n" print " For test " printf "----------------------------------------------\n" test_200 = 0 test_300 = 0 test_500 = 0 test_1000 = 0... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf format with awk

Hello Here is an easy one Data file 12345 (tab) Some text (tab) 53.432 23456 (tab) Some longer text (tab) 933.422 34567 (tab) Some different text (tab) 29.309 I need to awk these three tab-delimited columns so that the first two are unchanged (unformatted) and the third shows two decimal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palex
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to match string within awk printf

Hi All I am working to process txt file into csv commo separated. Input.txt 1,2,asdf,34sdsd,120,haahha2 2,2,wewedf,45sdsd,130,haahha ..... .... Errorcode.txt 120 130 140 myawk.awk code: { BEGIN{ HEADER="f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
4 Replies

10. Programming

Format specifier for sscanf() in C

Hello, I have formatted lines delimited by colon ":", and I need to parse the line into two parts with sscanf() with format specifiers. infile.txt: Sample Name: sample1 SNPs : 91 MNPs : 1 Insertions : 5 Deletions ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
13 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)