Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding files in subdirectories from one location Post 302227095 by redoubtable on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 03:13:20 PM
Old 08-20-2008
Yes. You can use find command. For example:
Code:
find /home/user -iname "nastyfile"

That will search /home/user for any file (case insensitive) with the name "nastyfile".
For more options (which are plenty) read man find.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

finding stack location in C using program

Is there a way to find the address of stack memory writing a program? Please guide me (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacques83
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files from one location to similar location

I need help in forming a script to copy files from one location which has a sub directory structure to another location with similar sub directory structure, say location 1, /home/rick/tmp_files/1-12/00-25/ here 1-12 are the number of sub directories under tmp_files and 00-25 are sub... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer files from one location to another location

Hi, i have to transfer of files of User1 located in Location1 to user2 located in Location2 using shell script. Please suggest me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding file in specific subdirectories

Hi experts problem: i have a directory "DATA" with lots of subdirectories named as date with hudge data containning files. Directory = "DATA" subdirectory = "20090611" & "20090612" ...... 20090611 = thousands of files i wanna apply find command to find all files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Archer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a word at specific location in a string

Hi All , I have different strings (SQL queries infact) of different lengths such as: 1. "SELECT XYZ FROM ABC WHERE ABC.DEF='123' " 2. "DELETE FROM ABC WHERE ABC.DEF='567'" 3. "SELECT * FROM ABC" I need to find out the word coming after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapnil.nawale
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding my location in a string

I'm a relative newbie and apologize if this is silly... Suppose I have a file with English words and their Spanish translations. I read them in like this: while(getline < myfile > 0) { eng = $1 SPAN = $2 } Now, for every eng in SPAN, I want to scan through SPAN and search for a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrLeeDetroit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Moving files from one location to another location

Hi, I am new to unix and shell scripting. Please help me in resolving the below issue. In my shell script I have a variable which stores the different files with the path. Now I need to move all the files one by one to another location. ---- 1.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpagadala
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with copying the list of files from one location to other location

A) I would like to achive following actions using shell script. can someone help me with writing the shell script 1) Go to some dir ( say /xyz/logs ) and then perform find operation in this dir and list of subdir using find . -name "*" -print | xargs grep -li 1367A49001CP0162 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GG2
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies
UDM_FIND(3)								 1							       UDM_FIND(3)

udm_find - Perform search

SYNOPSIS
resource udm_find (resource $agent, string $query) DESCRIPTION
Performs a search. The search itself. The first argument - session, the next one - query itself. To find something just type words you want to find and press SUBMIT button. For example, "mysql odbc". You should not use quotes " in query, they are written here only to divide a query from other text. mnoGoSearch will find all documents that contain word "mysql" and/or word "odbc". Best documents having bigger weights will be dis- played first. If you use search mode ALL, search will return documents that contain both (or more) words you entered. In case you use mode ANY, the search will return list of documents that contain any of the words you entered. If you want more advanced results you may use query language. You should select "bool" match mode in the search from. PARAMETERS
o $agent - A link to Agent, received after call to udm_alloc_agent(3). o $query - mnoGoSearch understands the following boolean operators: & - logical AND. For example, "mysql & odbc". mnoGoSearch will find any URLs that contain both "mysql" and "odbc". | - logical OR. For example "mysql|odbc". mnoGoSearch will find any URLs, that contain word "mysql" or word "odbc". ~ - logical NOT. For example "mysql & ~odbc". mnoGoSearch will find URLs that contain word "mysql" and do not contain word "odbc" at the same time. Note that ~ just excludes given word from results. Query "~odbc" will find nothing! () - group command to compose more complex queries. For example "(mysql | msql) & ~postgres". Query language is simple and powerful at the same time. Just consider query as usual boolean expression. RETURN VALUES
Returns a result link identifier on success or FALSE on failure. PHP Documentation Group UDM_FIND(3)