Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming char constants vs. hard-coding Post 302227065 by cleopard on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 01:46:20 PM
Old 08-20-2008
const char at_sign = '@';
char str[] = "fred@email.com;
char *ptr;

ptr = strrchr (str, '@');

vs.

ptr = strrchr (str, at_sign);

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

constants in C/C++

Hi all My question is related to following sample code which tries to change consant value by pointers.(I know it is wrong practice but i am surprised by mis-behaviour) The code: #include <stdio.h> int main() { const int x = 10; int *y; const int * const z = &x; y = (int *)&x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobhit
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: eval and constants

is it possible to use eval to create constants in perl? i cannot seem to get anything to work, and my searches are turning up little to nothing. an example of what i am trying to do is this: 2 arrays: array 1: 'FOOD','NUMBER','OS' array 2: 'pizza','two','unix' loop through the arrays and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I wanted to update a script, more dynamic (just say no to hard coding)...

currently it has the following: bdumpN=`ll /home/apps/oracle/admin/DBprod/bdump/DBprod_j* | grep "$Cdate" | wc -l` If I pass the DBname, I would not have to hardcode it in the script... I can capture the database name by adding the following: DBname=$1 The problem is, I have been unable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mails to various users without hard coding the email IDS

Hi Can any one help me out ? I am trying to send an autogenerated mail with an attachment to bulk of users using 'MAILX' and 'UNENCODE' . I have used it as follows X " ( cat /sastemp/body.txt; uuencode Test.xls.gz Test.xls.gz ) | mailx -s 'Testing' ' abcd@yahoo.com , efgh@gmail.com ' " ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operation with real variables and constants

Hello there, I'd like to define a variable b equal to 0.5/a where a=0.001, so I wrote something like that: a=0.001; let 'b=0.5/$a'; but it doesn't work... maybe because the variable a has a real value??? Any help will be appreciated!!!:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
1 Replies

6. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

7. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

8. Web Development

Using LWP without hard coding password

Hi, I would like to read content from a https site. I have decided to use LWP module in perl. but it throwed 401 Authorization required error. i dont want to hard code the password in my perl code. Is there any way to achieve the authentication without hardcoding the password. Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies
STRSTR(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRSTR(3)

NAME
strcasestr, strcasestr_l, strnstr, strstr -- locate a substring in a string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strcasestr(const char *s1, const char *s2); char * strnstr(const char *s1, const char *s2, size_t n); char * strstr(const char *s1, const char *s2); #include <string.h> #include <xlocale.h> char * strcasestr_l(const char *s1, const char *s2, locale_t loc); DESCRIPTION
The strstr() function locates the first occurrence of the null-terminated string s2 in the null-terminated string s1. The strcasestr() function is similar to strstr(), but ignores the case of both strings. The strnstr() function locates the first occurrence of the null-terminated string s2 in the string s1, where not more than n characters are searched. Characters that appear after a '' character are not searched. Since the strnstr() function is a FreeBSD specific API, it should only be used when portability is not a concern. While the strcasestr() function uses the current locale, the strcasestr_l() function may be passed a locale directly. See xlocale(3) for more information. RETURN VALUES
If s2 is an empty string, s1 is returned; if s2 occurs nowhere in s1, NULL is returned; otherwise a pointer to the first character of the first occurrence of s2 is returned. EXAMPLES
The following sets the pointer ptr to the "Bar Baz" portion of largestring: const char *largestring = "Foo Bar Baz"; const char *smallstring = "Bar"; char *ptr; ptr = strstr(largestring, smallstring); The following sets the pointer ptr to NULL, because only the first 4 characters of largestring are searched: const char *largestring = "Foo Bar Baz"; const char *smallstring = "Bar"; char *ptr; ptr = strnstr(largestring, smallstring, 4); SEE ALSO
memchr(3), strchr(3), strcspn(3), strpbrk(3), strrchr(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strtok(3), wcsstr(3), xlocale(3) STANDARDS
The strstr() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). BSD
October 11, 2001 BSD