Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: move file by year/mouth
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting move file by year/mouth Post 302227055 by mmm951 on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 01:21:27 PM
Old 08-20-2008
move file by year/mouth

Hello experts,

I have a directory which the files inside have different date.
Now I'd like to move them to folder year/mouth (2007/01 , 2007/02)

Have any suggestion?

thanks in advance for reading or anyposts.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i get the year of the file

When i use, 'ls -ltr' I only see the month and day (timestamp) of the file. How do i see the year also. Thanks and Regards, Ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help in doing this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IHK
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on year of creation

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003 till now. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move ony the 2003 files to another directory. Please help (9 Replies)
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move all 2008 year's file to destination directory

I am trying to move file created/modified in 2008 year to <new directory>. But trapped badly in Xargs {}. Looks like mv is not getting destination file properly. It assumes source file s to be destination directory n gives me erroir. "Target must be a directory" Run- #/home/mktrisk: find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File created year

Hi I need to get the File creation date (MM,DD,YYYY) using ls -ltr am getting only Month and Day only, I need year also when the file is modified. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Move files of a certain year to other directory

Hi all, I have a massive amount of recording files in .WAV format stored in a directory, files dating back to 2006. It is a huge amount of files as Linux cannot even do a listing of it all, it states: "argument list too long" What I would like to do is the following: Find all the files of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
6 Replies
sortm(1mh)																sortm(1mh)

Name
       sortm - sort messages

Syntax
       sortm [ msgs ] [ +folder ] [ options ]

Description
       The command sorts all the messages in the current folder into chronological order according to the contents of the Date: fields of the mes-
       sages.

By default, sorts all the messages in the current folder.  You can select particular messages in the folder by giving a range of  messages.
       You can also sort messages in another folder by specifying the folder name.

If  encounters  a  message without a Date: field, or if the message has a Date: field that cannot parse, it attempts to keep the message in
       the same relative position.  However, this does not always work; for instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which  can	be
       parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted.

When complains about a message which it cannot order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting.

Options
       -datefield field
		 Specifies the name of the header field to use when making the date comparison.  If you have a special field in each message, such
		 as Delivery-Date:, then the -datefield switch can be used to tell which field to examine.  If you do not give	this  option,  the
		 default is to use the Date: header field.

-help	 Prints a list of all the valid options to this command.

-verbose
       -noverbose
		 Displays the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order.  The -noverbose option performs these actions
		 silently.  The default is -noverbose.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -datefield date
	      -noverbose

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine your MH directory

Examples
       The following example sorts all the messages in the folder
       % sortm +meetings

The next example sorts messages 10-30 in the folder called