Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modifying file from outside
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modifying file from outside Post 302226992 by Sreejith_VK on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 10:42:55 AM
Old 08-20-2008
Yes you are absolutely correct.
Sreejith_VK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can someone help me with modifying this file

Hi, I have a file which has data kind of like this. Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10a sendmail: m3DDKSx3006432: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10b sendmail: m3DDKSoK006433: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10b sendmail: m3DDKcSo006442: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need in modifying the text of .txt file

Hi All, I've written a shell script in which i defined two varibles for example: str=1.0.0.15 timeStamp=2008.03.08 now using this varibles i need to modify a text file. The text content looks like this ************************ * packageNumber : 1.0.0.14 * * date :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinna
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a .ksh file

Hi, i have created a simple .ksh file in the following manner cat <<EOF >mfile #!/bin/ksh echo "hello world" EOF I have 2 questions 1. now i would like to add a second line after the first echo command e.g. echo "this is line 2" how can i do that ? 2. I would then like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: corbusier
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying file using script

Hi, I am new to shell programming, and want to know is it possible to change the contents of file using script? for example, if want to search 2 words and want to replace these words with 2 new words. Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a file using SED

Dear Members, I have a file which contains data as shown below: LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE xxap.test ( RAW_DATA char(3000) "replace(:raw_data,'*','|')", LOADING_SEQUENCE "xx_gl_bank_fee_s1.nextval", CREATION_DATE SYSDATE, LAST_UPDATE_DATE SYSDATE, ATTRIBUTE1 "DATE_STAMP", ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file?

Hi, I want to convert a file that looks like this >joe XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX >man BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSS to something that looks like this (where the spacing is tab seperated) joe XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX man BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSS I am able to do the reverse but the other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

modifying existing file using C

Hi all, I have a snmpd.conf file as below. in "SECTION: Trap Destinations" line I want to add "trap2dest <IP>:162 <com_str>" on a new line. For this I wrote following code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; ssize_t read_char_count = 0; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying file to 75 characters

I have a text file containing some notes and I want to limit the lines to 75 characters. Tried using fold, however fold will cut words. Need something in bash, sed or awk to do this. Find the blank space less than 75 ant cut from there (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the header in a flat file

Hi, I need to modify the header of the flat file, can you provide me the code example: Temp.txt header: list_col1|list_col2|list_col3 data: 1|2|3 in the above header should be modified in the prescribed format(is available with me) Header: List_Col1|List_Col2|List_Col3 A... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying listener file

Hi Pros, I'm writing a script to modify listener.ora file on multiple hosts. When I ssh to any server from a central server in our environment we are presented with menu to select the instance. I need to set my environment to listener which could be different number on every instance. How can I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
5 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be an octal number or a symbolic change to the existing mode. A mode is an octal number constructed from the OR of the following modes. 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission, and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), a (append only), and l (exclusive access). Only the owner of a file or the group leader of its group may change the file's mode. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/chmod.c SEE ALSO
ls(1), stat(2), stat(5) CHMOD(1)