Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: killing all child processes
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users killing all child processes Post 302226746 by superuser84 on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 05:04:57 PM
Old 08-19-2008
killing all child processes

Hi,

Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id.

Many thanks in advance.
J.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing a child process within a shell

Hi All, I have a written a script in korn shell for importing data into a oracle database. The shell invokes the import within the script. I want to kill this import (child process) . I tries using trap, but this does not kill the import even if i press cnt c. i have to login into other terminal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yerics
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing a child process

I am calling another script from my main script and making it run in the background,based upon the value of the input provided by the user I want to kill the child process ,I have written this code timer.ksh & PID=$$ print "\n Do you wish to continue .. (Y/N) : \c " read kill_proc if ]... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing child process in ksh

I have a script that (ideally) starts tcpdump, sleeps a given number of seconds, then kills it. When I do this for 10 seconds or and hour, it works fine. When I try it for 10 hours (the length I actually want) it just doesn't die, and will actually stick around for days. Relevant part of my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upnix
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Child Killing Parent

Hi all, I am writing a script which calls other third party scripts that perform numerous actions. I have no control over these scripts. My problem is, one of these scripts seems to execute and do what it is meant to do, but my calling / parent script always exits at that point. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Killing child daemon started by parent process

Hi All, Hope this is right area to ask this question. I have a shell script (bash) "wrapper.sh", which contains few simple shell command which executes a "server.sh" (conatins code to execute a java server) as a daemon. Now what I want to kill this "server.sh" so that the server should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
2 Replies

8. Programming

Killing a Child Thread

What is the best way for a parent to kill a child thread that has blocked on a command it cannot finish and will never read another line of its code? Will pthread_cancel() work with a thread that will never stop processing its current line of code? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brandon9000
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that kills previous instances of itself upon running not killing child processes

I'm likely going to explain this clumsily, so apologies in advance: I have the following script: #!/bin/bash pidPrefix="logGen" checkPrime () { if /sbin/ifconfig eth0:0|/bin/grep -wq inet;then isPrime=1;else isPrime=0;fi } killScript () { /usr/bin/find /var/run -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Child killing parent process and how to set up SMF

Hello, A little background on what we are doing first. We are running several applications from a CLI, and not all of them are fully functional. They do on occasion core dump, not a problem. We are running a service that takes a screen scrape of those apps and displays them in a more user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bryan.Eidson
5 Replies
FORK(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork -- create a new process LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
fork() causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process (parent process) except for the following: o The child process has a unique process ID. o The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). o The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read(2) or write(2) by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. o The child process' resource utilizations are set to 0; see setrlimit(2). In general, the child process should call _exit(2) rather than exit(3). Otherwise, any stdio buffers that exist both in the parent and child will be flushed twice. Similarly, _exit(2) should be used to prevent atexit(3) routines from being called twice (once in the parent and once in the child). In case of a threaded program, only the thread calling fork() is still running in the child processes. Child processes of a threaded program have additional restrictions, a child must only call functions that are async-signal-safe. Very few functions are asynchronously safe and applications should make sure they call exec(3) as soon as possible. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fork() returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fork() will fail and no child process will be created if: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration-depen- dent. [EAGAIN] The limit RLIMIT_NPROC on the total number of processes under execution by this user id would be exceeded. [ENOMEM] There is insufficient swap space for the new process. SEE ALSO
execve(2), setrlimit(2), vfork(2), wait(2), pthread_atfork(3) STANDARDS
The fork() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A fork() system call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 10, 2004 BSD