Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCP status question
Top Forums Programming TCP status question Post 302226478 by konvalo on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 04:56:16 AM
Old 08-19-2008
Question TCP status question

There is a server and a client,when client send a message to server,server can send a reply to client. The status of server and client is ESTABLISHED.Then I halt the client,I find the server status is CLOSE_WAIT and the client status is FIN_WAIT_2. Many minutes passed,I find the the server status still is CLOSE_WAIT and the client status still is FIN_WAIT_2. Why the status of server and client isn't CLOSED? Anybody could tell me the reason? I am puzzled with TCP status for a very long time.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't open status file /var/samba/STATUS.LCK

I believe i have most of samba configured right but i get this error each time time try to run it. I was given suggestion that i touch the file, i did, but i still cannot rid myself of this error. Any suggestions (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to check TCP server status

Please tell me according to C/C++ socket programming; how client can check whether server is running or not during TCP communication. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

3. Programming

C & TCP question: AF_INET vs AF_UNIX

Greetings! I am attempting to write a *basic* network client in C. I have manage to create a socket but I have doubts as far as using AF_INET vs AF_UNIX. At the present time, my client runs with AF_INET. Is AF_UNIX faster across hosts using the same OS flavor (Red Hat)? What is the difference... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alan Christen
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to kill a TCP connection which has status TIME_WAIT & no PID

Hi, I want to kill TCP connections which have status as TIME_WAIT & no PID (as per the output of the "netstat - p" command). Is there any command/utility available to kill connections to a specific port or IP address. The problem is that these connections don't have process ID (see... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinder31may
4 Replies

5. Programming

Getting TCP Port status through C API

Does anyone know if there is a C API call to get the status of a TCP port? As opposed to running netstat and parsing the results. At the moment I have to attempt to bind() and pick up on the address in use error which isn't very elegant Thanks ---------- Post updated at 10:42 AM ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: janra
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

Wireshark TCP and HTTP question.

Hello all. This is my first post and thank you for your forum. Here is my question. I have a simple setup at home and I was capturing some data with wireshark. Data between a workstation and the web server, requesting a page. Simple enough. Now when I open wireshark, I apply the TCP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: squaresphere
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate processes for CLOSE_WAIT status of TCP

Hello Friends, First of all im sorry for spending extra space in DB of forum with this thread, i know there would be a solution if i kept searching, I need to terminate the process which causes CLOSE_WAIT status of TCP connection via port 8103: -bash-3.00$ netstat -na | grep 8103... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question Grep and exit status

Im being forced to write in perl. I prefer KSH or Expect, so I suppose its time to become more fluent with perl. I have the following problem. I want to loop through Filea and check that each line in Filea is resident in Fileb. Filea contents two four six eight houseboat Fileb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Too much TCP retransmitted and TCP duplicate on server Oracle Solaris 10

I have problem with oracle solaris 10 running on oracle sparc T4-2 server. Os information: 5.10 Generic_150400-03 sun4v sparc sun4v Output from tcpstat.d script TCP bytes: out outRetrans in inDup inUnorder 6833763 7300 98884 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
2 Replies

10. Programming

Problem and question with TCP

Hi guys , i write this message for a doubt, a time ago i wrote a client/server program with TCP/IP in Linux. When i tested the program flooding the server with messages of 1024 bytes (Or 1025 bytes i dont remember exactly the number but was more that 1000 bytes) in certain point a message was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kovalevski
5 Replies
statd(1M)																 statd(1M)

NAME
statd, rpc.statd - network status monitor SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an RPC server. It interacts with to provide the crash and recovery functions for the locking services on NFS (see lockd(1M)). keeps track of the clients with processes which hold locks on a server. When the server reboots after a crash, sends a message to the on each client indicating that the server has rebooted. The client processes then informs the on the client that the server has rebooted. The client then attempts to reclaim the lock(s) from the server. on the client host also informs the on the server(s) holding locks for the client when the client has rebooted. In this case, the on the server informs its that all locks held by the rebooting client should be released, allowing other processes to lock those files. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: This is an obsolete option. All messages and errors are logged to WARNINGS
The crash of a server is only detected upon its recovery. FILES
lists hosts and network addresses to be contacted after a reboot lists hosts and network addresses that could not be contacted after last reboot includes a number which changes during a reboot AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
lockd(1M), fcntl(2), lockf(2), signal(2), sm(4). statd(1M)