Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What is buffered output?
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers What is buffered output? Post 302226142 by vidyadhar85 on Monday 18th of August 2008 11:11:32 AM
Old 08-18-2008
Writes bytes from the input file to standard
output without delay as each is read

that means normal cat without -u option first read the full file in sequence as it read it store it in buffer and display the buffer one's its done..
with -u option you can avoid it

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help capturing and reformatting buffered and unbuffered output

Ok, so I have a shell script which runs a specific command, and that command sends it's output to the display. At certain times, the command sends buffered output, and at other times, the command sends unbuffered output in the form of a % progress bar, so if I run the command, the output I receive... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikingshelmut
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

changing col(1) command stdout as fully buffered?

Hi All, I am talking about unix col(1) command used for some reverse line filtering etc. And I notice that the stdout of this command is line buffered i.e. the stdout will flush the data in its buffer line by line. So the number of writes performed by stdout are more. So now if I make stdout... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilsbjoshi
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

changing col(1) command stdout as fully buffered?

Hi All, I am talking about unix col(1) command used for some reverse line filtering etc. And I notice that the stdout of this command is line buffered i.e. the stdout will flush the data in its buffer line by line. So the number of writes performed by stdout are more. So now if I make stdout... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilsbjoshi
0 Replies

4. Programming

Why must flush all line-buffered output streams?

Hi, Mentioned in Stevens & Rago "Advanced Programming in the UNIX" I don't understand why must flush all line-buffered output streams when (a)an unbuffered or (b)a line-buffered stream require data from kernel? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Edward114
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl's buffered I/O is causing me to miss latest log file entries in log colorizer. How to fix?

I've been finding myself using a log file colorizer written in perl to reformat and colorize the output from many different programs. Mainly, however, I use it to make the output from "tail -f" commands more readable. The base perl script I use is based on "colorlogs.pl" available from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcsteiner
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between buffered disk reads and cached reads?

I was analyzing the Disk read using hdparm utility. This is what i got as a result. # hdparm -t /dev/sda /dev/sda: Timing buffered disk reads: 108 MB in 3.04 seconds = 35.51 MB/sec # hdparm -T /dev/sda /dev/sda: Timing cached reads: 3496 MB in 1.99 seconds = 1756.56 MB/sec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to run a sql and print the output to an output file

Hi All, I have around 900 Select Sql's which I would like to run in an awk script and print the output of those sql's in an txt file. Can you anyone pls let me know how do I do it and execute the awk script? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adept
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying log file pattern output in tabular form output

Hi All, I have result log file which looks like this (below): from the content need to consolidate the result and put it in tabular form 1). Intercomponents Checking Passed: All Server are passed. ====================================================================== 2). OS version Checking... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
9 Replies

10. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)