Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Most used unix platform as desktop. Post 302225874 by daklander on Sunday 17th of August 2008 03:14:56 PM
Old 08-17-2008
Hello folks.
First post here. I'm a somewhat new user. Tried different Linux distros for several years but until a couple of years ago I just didn't want to go through the trouble it was taking to get things working. A couple of years ago I ran across Mepis and that got me back on track. I've since switched to PCLOS and have been using it for the last year and a half or so. It is the one distribution that has met all my needs with the least requirement to "get under the hood". As things go along I'm starting to learn some of the lingo but I don't have to and that's nice.
I've also found the light weight distros, Puppy in particular.
Glad to be in the fold.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ on True Unix Platform

Hi all: I would like to get some details about development using C++ on TRUE Unix platform. Can anyone help me ?? Thanks, -Mandar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandar3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

checking the size of unix cd on windows platform

Hi, Is it possible or is there a program out there that can get the byte size of a unix cd on the windows platform. Any help would be really great with this. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjsm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in choosing Unix Platform.

I'm a completely noob to Unix. I have previously managed quite well Windows OS's but never Unix. -My question is quite simple: I've been investigating what's the easiest and most complex Unix OS. However, it seems there are quite a couple of OS's from which to choose, like: -Darwin ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justanoob
3 Replies

5. Programming

Platform type in Unix

Hi all, How does one get the platform type in UNIX (for e.g. sparc/i386)? I need an function call and not the command like uname -p. thanks! (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
24 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i am newer to unix platform

i have to select particular fields from a multiple line record. my record is in dump.txt file and looks like this ******************* tipo = abonado simplex, Idiomas = dic1 - none, Operador = estandar Serv. portadora admitido: modem ind = 0 numero telefonico = 79260960, att = 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
1 Replies

7. Programming

about unix platform

Hi can any body post example for socket tcpclient in c++ act like browser with HTTp 1.1 and send message for the server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Net Star
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is unix os or platform?

hellow everyone, iam a new user to linux and i have question about unix os. unix is operating system or platform iam confused. i have read some article about unix but i haven't found the answer what iam searching for. so iam confused in this topic can anyone made it clear. Any types of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruhang
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

R plots in UNIX platform

How do you see plots produced in R under UNIX platform? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
2 Replies
PARSEDATE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      PARSEDATE(3)

NAME
parsedate -- date parsing function LIBRARY
System Utilities Library (libutil, -lutil) SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> time_t parsedate(const char *datestr, const time_t *time, const int *tzoff); DESCRIPTION
The parsedate() function parses a datetime from datestr described in english relative to an optional time point and an optional timezone off- set in seconds specified in tzoff. If either time or tzoff are NULL, then the current time and timezone offset are used. The datestr is a sequence of white-space separated items. The white-space is optional the concatenated items are not ambiguous. An empty datestr is equivalent to midnight today (the beginning of this day). The following words have the indicated numeric meanings: last = -1, this = 0, first, next, or one = 1, second is unused so that it is not confused with ``seconds'', two = 2, third or three = 3, fourth or four = 4, fifth or five = 5, sixth or six = 6, seventh or seven = 7, eighth or eight = 8, ninth or nine = 9, tenth or ten = 10, eleventh or eleven = 11, twelfth or twoelve = 12. The following words are recognized in English only: AM, PM, a.m., p.m. The months: january, february, march, april, may, june, july, august, september, sept, october, november, december, The days of the week: sunday, monday, tuesday, tues, wednesday, wednes, thursday, thur, thurs, friday, saturday. Time units: year, month, fortnight, week, day, hour, minute, min, second, sec, tomorrow, yesterday. Timezone names: gmt, ut, utc, wet, bst, wat, at, ast, adt, est, edt, cst, cdt, mst, mdt, pst, pdt, yst, ydt, hst, hdt, cat, ahst, nt, idlw, cet, met, mewt, mest, swt, sst, fwt, fst, eet, bt, zp4, zp5, zp6, wast, wadt, cct, jst, east, eadt, gst, nzt, nzst, nzdt, idle. A variety of unambiguous dates are recognized: 69-09-10 For years between 69-99 we assume 1900+ and for years between 0-68 we assume 2000+. 2006-11-17 An ISO-8601 date. 10/1/2000 October 10, 2000; the common US format. 20 Jun 1994 23jun2001 1-sep-06 Other common abbreviations. 1/11 the year can be omitted As well as times: 10:01 10:12pm 12:11:01.000012 12:21-0500 Relative items are also supported: -1 month last friday one week ago this thursday next sunday +2 years Seconds since epoch (also known as UNIX time) are also supported: @735275209 Tue Apr 20 03:06:49 UTC 1993 RETURN VALUES
parsedate() returns the number of seconds passed since the Epoch, or -1 if the date could not be parsed properly. SEE ALSO
date(1), eeprom(8) HISTORY
The parser used in parsedate() was originally written by Steven M. Bellovin while at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It was later tweaked by a couple of people on Usenet. Completely overhauled by Rich $alz and Jim Berets in August, 1990. The parsedate() function first appeared in NetBSD 4.0. BUGS
1 The parsedate() function is not re-entrant or thread-safe. 2 The parsedate() function cannot compute days before the unix epoch (19700101). 3 The parsedate() function assumes years less than 0 mean - year, years less than 70 mean 2000 + year, years less than 100 mean 1900 + year. BSD
December 20, 2010 BSD