Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract .tgz files that only contain a pattern Post 302225774 by percivalwcy on Saturday 16th of August 2008 09:34:59 PM
Old 08-16-2008
Hi Vi-Curious. Your code does work, but not exactly what I was looking for. On most occasions, I don't know the exact filename inside the .tgz file to extract. Hence, the grep.

It's taking me days, and I still have not figured it out. Please help. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip .tgz files

hi all How to unzip .tgz files waiting for suggestions Praful (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create individual tgz files from a set of files

Hello I have a ton of files in a directory of the format app.log.2008-04-04 I'd like to run a command that would archive each of these files as app.log.2008-04-04.tgz I tried a few combinations of find with xargs etc but no luck. Thanks Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file.tgz.1of2 & file.tgz.2of2

Hi all, Need help. Anybody seen this kind of file before? file.tgz.1of2 file.tgz.2of2 how to extract this tgz file? Any help? Tq (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeedwolf
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to grep/read a file inside compressed tgz without extract?

Hi all, I would like to ask whether in Unix shell/perl have any functions or command to allow grep/cat/read a file inside compressed .tgz without extract it? I know we can tar tvf a compressed tgz but this only allow we read the path/filename contained inside the tarball. If we want to read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayshy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move files to existing .tgz file?

Hi, I have already created the tar files. which consist of some log files and Audit.csv plz see the below code for that ================================================ tar -Pczf ARCH/${arc_date}.tgz $LOG/*.log $REYE/CEP/FiAdapter/Audit.${arc_date}.csv ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific files from multiple .tgz files

Hey, I have number of .tgz files and want to extract the file with the ending *results.txt from each one. I have tried for file in *.tgz; do tar --wildcards -zxf $file *results.txt; doneas well as list=$(ls *.tgz) for i in $list; do tar --wildcards -zxvf $i *.results.txt; done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from files based on file pattern

I want to extract dates from the files and i have different types of files with pattern. I have list file with the patterns and want to date extract based on it in a sh script Files in the directory : file1_20160101.txt file2_20160101_abc.txt filexyz20160101.txt list file with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)