Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add User Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Add User Problem Post 302225285 by zaxxon on Friday 15th of August 2008 03:58:03 AM
Old 08-15-2008
You got some users that you can login with, you said.
So take your favourite editor and try to just yank & paste this line of that working user in /etc/passwd and edit the username and uid of the copied line to some fantasy value.
Set the password for this "new" user and try to connect.
You can just delete this line just when you made your test so nothing to worry about.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User Problem

On my small network some of my users are having trouble logging in. What's something that I can do to find out what's wrong? Are there any commands that I can run or files I can check? ,AP (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthony
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user creation problem

hello, Actually I want to create a user for our brower based custom application for the mail access from our mailserver(linux). I create user dummy and I granted all the privileages to dummy user and made dummy equivelent to root and if I tried to create a another user logging as dummy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jarkvarma
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

create user problem

hello: before I am add user in Linux with " adduser" command . for example system(adduser zzf -p hello); and this command "-p" option is used to create "login password". now i do not find the "-p" option in " adduser " in hp unix os. and i should how to do ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_fei
3 Replies

4. Linux

USER login problem

Hi All I am facing a login issue actually on my local machine users are not suppose to login with there respective prompt on the machine. Access deneid login as: daya Sent username "daya" daya@10.10.0.3's password: Access denied daya@192.168.0.83's password: and even i am not suppose... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daya.pandit
3 Replies

5. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

sendmail user accounts problem

first of all I am Newbie to linux I confidured my sendmail -8.13 on RHEL5, but i have a problem regarding user accounts. How can I user access his account on remotely while all users exit on servers ? should i need to configure extra server to enable this .... And what is LDAP and can this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy6573
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User login problem

Dear All, Plz help in unixware 7x only root user login & other user not login . message giving permission denied (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
3 Replies

8. AIX

User creation problem

Hi, I am getting tired in creating several users in a day. Can anyone have a script to create several users in the same server, as well as, to create one user in several servers. where i have to put script and how to run the script. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

adding new user problem?

I wan to add a new user. I have executed the following command. The user home directory is created. but password creation shows error. Note: I'm using LDAP Server for user authentication. adduser xxx Adding user `xxx' ... Adding new group `xxx' (1003) ... Adding new user `xxx' (1003) with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

User add problem

I could not create the user name with the number infront of... useradd 8siva useradd: Invalid account name `8siva' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
3 Replies
FAILLOG(8)																FAILLOG(8)

NAME
faillog - display faillog records or set login failure limits SYNOPSIS
faillog [options] DESCRIPTION
faillog formats the contents of the failure log from /var/log/faillog database. It also can be used for maintains failure counters and limits. Run faillog without arguments display only list of user faillog records who have ever had a login failure. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the faillog command are: -a, --all Display faillog records for all users. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -l, --lock-time SEC Lock accout to SEC seconds after failed login. -m, --maximum MAX Set maiximum number of login failures after the account is disabled to MAX. Selecting MAX value of 0 has the effect of not placing a limit on the number of failed logins. The maximum failure count should always be 0 for root to prevent a denial of services attack against the system. -r, --reset Reset the counters of login failures or one recor if used with -u LOGIN option. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -t, --time DAYS Display faillog records more recent than DAYS. The -t flag overrides the use of -u. -u, --user LOGIN Display faillog record or maintains failure counters and limits (if used with -l, -m or -r options) only for user with LOGIN. CAVEATS
faillog only prints out users with no successful login since the last failure. To print out a user who has had a successful login since their last failure, you must explicitly request the user with the -u flag, or print out all users with the -a flag. FILES
/var/log/faillog failure logging file SEE ALSO
login(1), faillog(5) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) 08/03/2005 FAILLOG(8)