Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers counting a list of string in a list of txt files Post 302224812 by Pep Puigvert on Thursday 14th of August 2008 03:40:01 AM
Old 08-14-2008
Jim,

Thanks a lot for the quick answer but when running it I got the following error.

awk: syntax error near line 3
awk: illegal statement near line 3
awk: syntax error near line 5
awk: bailing out near line 5

Do you know whether there is something wrong?
Thanks
Pep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to List and copy the files containing a string

:confused: I have more than 8000 files in a dir, I need to copy to other dir which containing the "sample" I tried grep -il "1189609240791-1268115603299237276@216.109.111.119 ' | cp /tmp/inv Nothing is happening for long time for 100 file dir too, Any one can help me? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
11 Replies

2. Solaris

list files .txt and .TXT in one command

Dear experts, In a directory i have both *.TXT and *.txt files. I have a script- for file in `ls *.txt`; do mv $file /tmp/$file How to list both *.txt and*.TXT file in one command so that script will move both .txt or .TXT whatever it find. br//purple (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to list .txt and .TXT file

Hi expersts, in my directory i have *.txt and *.TXT and *.TXT.log, *.txt.log I want list only .txt and .TXT files in one command... how to ?? //purple (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all files except *.txt in a directory

I have many types of files (Eg: *.log, *.rpt, *.txt, *.dat) in a directory. I want to display all file types except *.txt. What is the command to display all files except "*.txt" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the files with string

I want to list all the files which are having today's date in its header... Please let me know if this can be achveived by a single command (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
8 Replies

6. Solaris

list of files in a txt file from sftp location

I want equivalent of ftp in sftp for listing of files into local machine from sftp location. ftp>ls -l list.txt the above creates a file list.txt in the local machine's current directory. sftp>ls -l list.txt it is giving Couldn't stat remote file: No such file or directory is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to list files not present in audio.txt file

I am having following folder structure. /root/audios/pop /root/audios/jazz /root/audios/rock Inside those pop, jazz, rock folders there are following files, p1.ul, p2.ul, p3.ul, j1.ul, j2.ul, j3.ul, r1.ul, r2.ul, r3.ul And I have a file named as "audio.txt" in the path /root/audios,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopikrish81
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a column based list from a string list

I have a string containing fields separated by space Example set sr="Fred Ted Joe Peter Paul Jean Chris Tim Tex" and want to display it in a column format, for example to a maximum of a window of 100 characters And hopefully display some thing like Fred Ted Joe ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list the files having particular string in it ?

I want to list the name of files with path having perticular string in it. search must be start from root (/) dir. Thanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies
FPRINTF(3)								 1								FPRINTF(3)

fprintf - Write a formatted string to a stream

SYNOPSIS
int fprintf (resource $handle, string $format, [mixed $args], [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Write a string produced according to $format to the stream resource specified by $handle. PARAMETERS
o $handle -A file system pointer resource that is typically created using fopen(3). o $format - See sprintf(3) for a description of $format. o $args - o $... - RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the string written. EXAMPLES
Example #1 fprintf(3): zero-padded integers <?php if (!($fp = fopen('date.txt', 'w'))) { return; } fprintf($fp, "%04d-%02d-%02d", $year, $month, $day); // will write the formatted ISO date to date.txt ?> Example #2 fprintf(3): formatting currency <?php if (!($fp = fopen('currency.txt', 'w'))) { return; } $money1 = 68.75; $money2 = 54.35; $money = $money1 + $money2; // echo $money will output "123.1"; $len = fprintf($fp, '%01.2f', $money); // will write "123.10" to currency.txt echo "wrote $len bytes to currency.txt"; // use the return value of fprintf to determine how many bytes we wrote ?> SEE ALSO
printf(3), sprintf(3), sscanf(3), fscanf(3), vsprintf(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group FPRINTF(3)