Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Trying to config eth0 - Ubuntu Post 302224506 by sysgate on Wednesday 13th of August 2008 10:16:49 AM
Old 08-13-2008
Neither of the four octets can have more than 255 as value, read wikipedia article

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Adding an IP to eth0

Hi there guys! I have a small task that I have to accomplish, but I don't seem to be able to do that. I have a server that I don't have physical access to, and I mostly control it with webmin. The server is running 2 websites. Both of these websites have their own domains that are linked to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I find which one is eth0?

Hi, Just installed Centos 5.1 on HP DL360, on this system I have to close to ten nic's. How can I find which one is eth0? When I do " ifconfig -a" I see all of them, but I can't tell which is eth0? Please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu / Ubuntu File Manager / Config

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome 2.28. I use the default Nautilus File Manager to view / manage files. Is there a way to add icons or customize the icons that are above the location bar and below the menus? There is a bar that has icons for "Back" "Forward" "Parent" above the location bar. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Device eth0 issue

Hi, I have just installed RHEL 5.4 on a BL430c-class server and I am attempting to connect to the network only when I try and start eth0, I get the following error? "Bringing up Interface eth0: hp device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization." I am using a HP... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
18 Replies

7. Red Hat

VMBox not Recognizing eth0 on RH.

Hello, I re-installed my laptop and installed a new copy of VMBOX, I created a VM Machine with my Rhel5 and a CEntos copy as well. I am using a laptop HP DV4, I use wireless on the laptop. Usually when I boot up in to either machine I would get eht0 and lo as usual now I just don't get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. Red Hat

Apache virtual host config vs global config problem

Hi folks, I am trying to configure Apache webserver and also a virtual host inside this webserver. For Global server config: /var/www/html/index.html For virtual host config: /var/www/virtual/index.html Both client10 & www10 are pointing to 192.168.122.10 IP address. BUT, MY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freebird8z
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

iptables On for eth0 and off for other interfaces

Hi all, I am running a CentOS 6.4 box as an IDS and I need to configure one interface as the management interface which will require a firewall. However other ports (in promisc mode without IP) will have to be configured such that IPtables allows all traffic. I need to achieve this by editing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies
IFSYSCTL(5)						       Network configuration						       IFSYSCTL(5)

NAME
ifsysctl[-<interface name>] - per network interface sysctl settings SYNOPSIS
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifsysctl /etc/sysconfig/network/ifsysctl-<interface name> DESCRIPTION
These files are intended to contain sysctl settings, that should be applied when a network interface is created. This are usually interface specific settings, like: net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr = 1 or net.ipv4.conf.eth0.rp_filter = 0 The settings are applied by the /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/ifup-sysctl script executed via /etc/udev/rules.d/77-network.rules rule (see udev(7)), after the creation and after the rename of the interface name to its persistent name (when applicable), but before the ifup <interface name> -o hotplug may be executed to configure the interface. The settings are not applied by default when the NetworkManager is active (NETWORKMANAGER=yes), except when the IFSYSCTL_NETWORKMANAGER=yes variable is set in the /etc/sysconfig/network/config file. Settings from the ifsysctl- file are applied every time an interface has been created. Settings from the ifsysctl-interface name file are applied when the interface with the corresponding interface name has been created. SYNTAX
The sysctl(8) utility is required to apply the settings. It supports two separator characters for sysctl keywords: a "." in default format and a "/" in the alternate format. Therefore the syntax is basically same to the /etc/sysctl.conf file. Interface names may contain a ".". In the default sysctl format using a "." as separator, that is any "." in the interface name of the key- word, has to be replaced with a "/". In the alternate sysctl format with "/" as separator, normal interface names can be used. Optionally, the ifsysctl files may contain also the $INTERFACE and the $SYSCTL_IF variables, that are automatically replaced with the cur- rent interface name usable in the alternate format and with the sysctl-quoted interface name for the default format, before the settings are passed to the sysctl utility. Note also, that settings with variables in the ifsysctl (without the -<interface name> suffix), will be applied for every interface! Further, files with variables are not compatible to the /etc/sysctl.conf file. EXAMPLES
Settings for "eth0" and "eth0.1" interfaces # using "." as separator: net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr = 1 net.ipv6.conf.eth0/1.use_tempaddr = 1 # using "/" as separator: net/ipv6/conf/eth0/use_tempaddr = 1 net/ipv6/conf/eth0.0/use_tempaddr = 1 Settings with variables: # using "." as separator: net.ipv6.conf.$SYSCTL_IF.use_tempaddr = 1 # using "/" as separator: net/ipv6/conf/$INTERFACE/use_tempaddr = 1 To test your ifsysctl-eth0 or ifsysctl file, use: /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/ifup-sysctl eth0 -o debug BUGS
Please report bugs at <https://bugzilla.novell.com/> AUTHOR
Marius Tomaschewski <mt@suse.de> SEE ALSO
ifup(8) ifcfg(5) sysctl(8) sysconfig December 2009 IFSYSCTL(5)