Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need to create a file of specified size Post 302224081 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 12th of August 2008 07:40:30 AM
Old 08-12-2008
You can use the dd command, it should be something like:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=myfile bs=1000 count=300000

Check the manpage of dd.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create file of fixed size?

I want to create a file, that has a fixed size, as a placeholder so no one will write to that disc and I may store backup files at a later date. how can I do this? Using HP 9000/300 computer with HP 7937 Disc Drives and HPUX 6.5 OS. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dblevans
3 Replies

2. AIX

User unable to create a file over 2 GB's in size

Hello, this is my first post. I have a user who cannot create a file over 2 GB's in size eventhough the FS is large file enabled and I added a special stanza in /etc/security/limits to allow an unlimited file size for this particular user (user1 - see below). ibm:/home/root (4062)#cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXtexas
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to create a file of specified size

hi guys, Is there any way to create a file of specified size ..ie...during creation itself u should be able to specify the size of it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To create a file of spcified size

Hi By using the following command i am creating a file with specified size but it is creating with some text file. ut i want some zero equipped file. dd if=/dev/zero of=myfile bs=1024 count=10 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelkumar
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create n number of files of size x

What is the best way to create 'n' number of files of size 'x' lets say n and x are given as arguments to the program.. and lets say we can simply fill the files with 0s or *'s Thanks !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can create a directory with 1GB size?

How can create a directory with 1GB size? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create file with fixed record size

Hello all, Linux - Is there any way of creating a new file and determining its record size upon creation? open() and creat() do not refer to record size. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klafte
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create csv with output filenames and file size

Hello All, Here is seeking a bit of help in trying to solve a problem. I am required to create a csv file as shown below: output.csv -> output_1,output_2,output_3,...,output_<N> filename1:20,filename2:30,filename3:30,...,filename<N>:30 by listing output_1, output_2,... , output<N> as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkumbhakarna
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide number of lines by the size of the same file. And create relational table.

I basically need to do what the title says. I have my text file. I'm still pretty new at this. At the moment I know that: 1. wc -l file.txt To get the number of lines. 2. ls -lh file.txt To get the file size. But I need to divide both numbers. Then I need to save the output in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PainMaker101
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get script to create a new file that lists folder content sorted by size?

I have a script that sorts and processes unsorted files to newly created directories. Its working great, but I am trying to understand the leanest method to get the script to create an additional file within each newly created directory that: Contains a list of all files in the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies
code(n) 							    [incr Tcl]								   code(n)

NAME
code - capture the namespace context for a code fragment SYNOPSIS
code ?-namespace name? command ?arg arg ...? DESCRIPTION
Creates a scoped value for the specified command and its associated arg arguments. A scoped value is a list with three elements: the "@scope" keyword, a namespace context, and a value string. For example, the command namespace foo { code puts "Hello World!" } produces the scoped value: @scope ::foo {puts {Hello World!}} Note that the code command captures the cur- rent namespace context. If the -namespace flag is specified, then the current context is ignored, and the name string is used as the namespace context. Extensions like Tk execute ordinary code fragments in the global namespace. A scoped value captures a code fragment together with its namespace context in a way that allows it to be executed properly later. It is needed, for example, to wrap up code fragments when a Tk widget is used within a namespace: namespace foo { private proc report {mesg} { puts "click: $mesg" } button .b1 -text "Push Me" -command [code report "Hello World!"] pack .b1 } The code fragment associated with button .b1 only makes sense in the context of namespace "foo". Furthermore, the "report" procedure is private, and can only be accessed within that namespace. The code command wraps up the code fragment in a way that allows it to be executed properly when the button is pressed. Also, note that the code command preserves the integrity of arguments on the command line. This makes it a natural replacement for the list command, which is often used to format Tcl code fragments. In other words, instead of using the list command like this: after 1000 [list puts "Hello $name!"] use the code command like this: after 1000 [code puts "Hello $name!"] This not only formats the command cor- rectly, but also captures its namespace context. Scoped commands can be invoked like ordinary code fragments, with or without the eval command. For example, the following statements work properly: set cmd {@scope ::foo .b1} $cmd configure -background red set opts {-bg blue -fg white} eval $cmd configure $opts Note that scoped commands by-pass the usual protection mechanisms; the command: @scope ::foo {report {Hello World!}} can be used to access the "foo::report" proc from any namespace context, even though it is private. KEYWORDS
scope, callback, namespace, public, protected, private itcl 3.0 code(n)