Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need to create a file of specified size Post 302224081 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 12th of August 2008 07:40:30 AM
Old 08-12-2008
You can use the dd command, it should be something like:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=myfile bs=1000 count=300000

Check the manpage of dd.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create file of fixed size?

I want to create a file, that has a fixed size, as a placeholder so no one will write to that disc and I may store backup files at a later date. how can I do this? Using HP 9000/300 computer with HP 7937 Disc Drives and HPUX 6.5 OS. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dblevans
3 Replies

2. AIX

User unable to create a file over 2 GB's in size

Hello, this is my first post. I have a user who cannot create a file over 2 GB's in size eventhough the FS is large file enabled and I added a special stanza in /etc/security/limits to allow an unlimited file size for this particular user (user1 - see below). ibm:/home/root (4062)#cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXtexas
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to create a file of specified size

hi guys, Is there any way to create a file of specified size ..ie...during creation itself u should be able to specify the size of it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To create a file of spcified size

Hi By using the following command i am creating a file with specified size but it is creating with some text file. ut i want some zero equipped file. dd if=/dev/zero of=myfile bs=1024 count=10 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelkumar
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create n number of files of size x

What is the best way to create 'n' number of files of size 'x' lets say n and x are given as arguments to the program.. and lets say we can simply fill the files with 0s or *'s Thanks !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can create a directory with 1GB size?

How can create a directory with 1GB size? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create file with fixed record size

Hello all, Linux - Is there any way of creating a new file and determining its record size upon creation? open() and creat() do not refer to record size. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klafte
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create csv with output filenames and file size

Hello All, Here is seeking a bit of help in trying to solve a problem. I am required to create a csv file as shown below: output.csv -> output_1,output_2,output_3,...,output_<N> filename1:20,filename2:30,filename3:30,...,filename<N>:30 by listing output_1, output_2,... , output<N> as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkumbhakarna
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide number of lines by the size of the same file. And create relational table.

I basically need to do what the title says. I have my text file. I'm still pretty new at this. At the moment I know that: 1. wc -l file.txt To get the number of lines. 2. ls -lh file.txt To get the file size. But I need to divide both numbers. Then I need to save the output in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PainMaker101
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get script to create a new file that lists folder content sorted by size?

I have a script that sorts and processes unsorted files to newly created directories. Its working great, but I am trying to understand the leanest method to get the script to create an additional file within each newly created directory that: Contains a list of all files in the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies
lockfile-progs(1)						 Lockfile programs						 lockfile-progs(1)

NAME
lockfile-progs - command-line programs to safely lock and unlock files and mailboxes (via liblockfile). SYNOPSIS
mail-lock [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] mail-unlock mail-touchlock [--oneshot] lockfile-create [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-remove [--lock-name] filename lockfile-touch [--oneshot] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-check [--use-pid] [--lock-name] filename DESCRIPTION
Lockfile-progs provides a set a programs that can be used to lock and unlock mailboxes and files safely (via liblockfile): mail-lock - lock the current user's mailbox mail-unlock - unlock the current user's mailbox mail-touchlock - touch the lock on the current user's mailbox lockfile-create - lock a given file lockfile-remove - remove the lock on a given file lockfile-touch - touch the lock on a given file lockfile-check - check the lock on a given file By default, the filename argument refers to the name of the file to be locked, and the name of the lockfile will be filename .lock. How- ever, if the --lock-name argument is specified, then filename will be taken as the name of the lockfile itself. Each of the mail locking commands attempts to lock /var/spool/mail/<user>, where <user> is the name associated with the effective user ID, as determined by via geteuid(2). Once a file is locked, the lock must be touched at least once every five minutes or the lock will be considered stale, and subsequent lock attempts will succeed. Also see the --use-pid option and the lockfile_create(3) manpage. The lockfile-check command tests whether or not a valid lock already exists. OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Suppress any output. Success or failure will only be indicated by the exit status. -v, --verbose Enable diagnostic output. -l, --lock-name Do not append .lock to the filename. This option applies to lockfile-create, lockfile-remove, lockfile-touch, or lockfile-check. -p, --use-pid Write the parent process id (PPID) to the lockfile whenever a lockfile is created, and use that pid when checking a lock's validity. See the lockfile_create(3) manpage for more information. This option applies to lockfile-create and lockfile-check. NOTE: this option will not work correctly between machines sharing a filesystem. -o, --oneshot Touch the lock and exit immediately. This option applies to lockfile-touch and mail-touchlock. When not provided, these commands will run forever, touching the lock once every minute until killed. -r retry-count, --retry retry-count Try to lock filename retry-count times before giving up. Each attempt will be delayed a bit longer than the last (in 5 second incre- ments) until reaching a maximum delay of one minute between retries. If retry-count is unspecified, the default is 9 which will give up after 180 seconds (3 minutes) if all 9 lock attempts fail. EXAMPLES
Locking a file during a lengthy process: lockfile-create /some/file lockfile-touch /some/file & # Save the PID of the lockfile-touch process BADGER="$!" do-something-important-with /some/file kill "${BADGER}" lockfile-remove /some/file EXIT STATUS
0 For lockfile-check this indicates that a valid lock exists, otherwise it just indicates successful program execution. Not 0 For lockfile-check a non-zero exit status indicates that the specified lock does not exist or is not valid. For other programs it indicates that some problem was encountered. SEE ALSO
maillock(3) touchlock(3) mailunlock(3) lockfile_create(3) lockfile_remove(3) lockfile_touch(3) lockfile_check(3) AUTHOR
Written by Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> 0.1.12 2008-02-10 lockfile-progs(1)