Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How the /etc/passwd file is written when user does not have permission Post 302223653 by era on Monday 11th of August 2008 03:34:59 AM
Old 08-11-2008
Google for "setuid". If this is homework, your teacher probably already told you about this mechanism.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for specific user ID's from the passwd file

Hello, My issue is that I want to look for specific users that have their first and last initial followed by four numbers. For example: ab1234 I've already got the user ID's out of the passwd file more passwd | awk -F ":" '{print $1}' > userids I just need to know how to just pick... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 passwd locked out − permission denied

Hi Gurus, i have ussers cannot change their passwords, neither can root change the user's password. O.S. Solaris 8 up−to−date on security patchaes as far as I know. Examples (names have been changed to protect the guilty): User logged on: $ passwd passwd: Changing password for <user>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raziayub
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

granting permission to file/directory to a specific user

hello, I would like to grant full access to a directory which is owned by root and the web application that created it. I have though of adding the permission to the whole world, but for security reason I would like to grant it to one more user. I have tried this 'chmod -U newUser+wrx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run123
2 Replies

4. AIX

Change file permission by anothere user !

Guy's we are in AIX 5.3 We have created two users user1 and user2 and they are under same group Staff Group user1 will create file under /tmp/ and this is the permission of this file -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 staff 1 Jun 13 09:47 file user2 is under same group and when he... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

6. AIX

Permission to a external user to a file

Is there any possible way to give permission to a user to a file whose not a member of that group. Also the permission of the file shouls be given only to that USER but not all OTHERS. Thanks in Advance for ur replies/suggestions... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

useradd w/o write permission on /etc/passwd

Hi root user creates a user using the useradd command. This command creates an entry in the /etc/passwd file. /etc/passwd file has rw permission for the root user. Now, if I happen to remove the w permission for the root user, useradd command still is successfully creating entry in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching user alias's to their ID's in the passwd file

Hi, I've a user alias file in the below format.. I need to change all the ID's that come after the = sign (with some multiple ID's which are separated by comma's) to their respective users that are contained in the passwords file.. Whats the best way to go about this.. Some sort of sed command in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User info not present in passwd file

I have logged into a box with some userid,but in this box der is no entry for this userid in /etc/passwd file.this box is used by multiple users but none of them have their enteries in passwd file but for each user there is a directory in /home like for user1 /home/user1 for user2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passwd file define user with special character

Hi all , The FTP user defind in my passwd file has ! in the hash password field and i want to know way is that its usually either MD5(Unix) hash or * can anyone explain to me i'm new for unix and want to learn this how my passwd file looks : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahash11
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)