Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Coredumps and swap - was part of Solaris Mem Consumption Post 302223588 by Perderabo on Sunday 10th of August 2008 12:03:04 PM
Old 08-10-2008
Sorry, Neo, but I must concur with jillagre. Look again at the example:
Code:
example# dumpadm –d /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s2

Dump content: kernel pages
Dump device: /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s2 (dedicated)
Savecore directory: /var/crash/saturn
Savecore enabled: yes

There are two different items being mentioned: a dump device, and an savecore directory.

The dump device is where the kernel will write the crash dump when it encounters a panic condition. This is always a raw area on disk. Remember that a panic means that the kernel has malfunctioned. No one would want a malfunctioning kernel to attempt to write a very large file into a file system. The very reason for a panic is to stop I/O to filesystems before they are more badly damaged.

The savecore program runs during a reboot (but after fsck's and thus we are sure that the filesystem can be used). Usually the dump device is not dedicated but is a swap area so we want to crash dumps before swap is needed. savecore reads from the dump area and write to the file system. We clearly need to save an image of the damaged kernel before we reboot. After a reboot, the broken kernel is gone. Note that everything quoted mentions that savecore is operating after a reboot. And the savecore description "The savecore utility saves a crash dump of the kernel (assuming that one was made)". Note that "saves" is present tense while "was made" is past tense. If a crash dump was not made, savecore can do nothing. We have already rebooted so a trick like reading from /dev/mem is not going to work... we would only get a copy of the new kernel.

Finally, look at the description of the -f option to savecore: "Attempt to save a crash dump from the specified file instead of from the system's current dump device. This option may be useful if the information stored on the dump device has been copied to an on-disk file by means of the dd(1M) command." Those are the only 2 options for input.

EDIT:
Looking over this thread, I want to make a few more points.

reborg said "It will simply not save a core dump if it has no space." And this is true. Lots of folks simply choose to not save crashdumps at all. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing reborg said implied the use of file system space as an alternative for crashdumps.

jilliagre said "You cannot limit the kernel dump size" and this is false. If there is a 12 GB crashdump to be written out, but there is only a 5 GB dump size available, the kernel will write the first 5 GB. I'm surprised that reborg implies that this used to result in a panic-reboot infinite loop. If it did that was a bug. A panic during a panic is not supposed to attempt a crashdump. A second panic should occur followed by a reboot. In addition to simply not providing a lot of space, options sometimes exist to limit crashdump size. Solaris has a few mentioned on the dumpadm man page. And about those truncated dumps... the kernel is the first thing dumped in every OS I know. I have often debugged problems by reading those truncated dumps (albeit usually on HP-UX). Simply dumping the message buffer which contains the last few messages displayed by the kernel including the panic message is a big help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reg: char ptr - Coredumps

#include <stdio.h> void main() { int Index=1; char *Type=NULL; Type = (char *)Index; printf("%s",Type); } Getting coredump (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Mem Consumption

We have Sun OS running on spark : SunOS ciniwnpr67 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 Having Physical RAM : Sol10box # prtconf | grep Mem Memory size: 8192 Megabytes My Top Output is : 130 processes: 129 sleeping, 1 on cpu CPU states: 98.8% idle, 0.2% user, 1.0%... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajwinder
27 Replies

3. AIX

Zerofault terminates and coredumps - Segmentation fault

Hi, I am using zerofault in AIX to find memory leaks for my server. zf -c <forked-server> zf -l 30 <server> <arguments> Then after some (5 mins ) it terminates core dumping and saying server exited abnormally. I could not understand the core file generated: its something like show in below... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.gkp
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Memory / Swap

Hi all Got myself in a pickle here, chasing my own tail and am confused. Im trying to work out memory / swap on my solaris 10 server, that Im using zones on. Server A has 32Gb of raw memory, ZFS across the root /mirror drives. # prtdiag -v | grep mem = Memory size: 32768 Megabytes #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 SWAP SPACE

We have a SPARC system which is running on Solaris-9 and Physical memory size is 16GB.We have allocated 32GB SWAP space(2 times of physical memory).But when we use df -h command it shows following output and SWAP space size shows more than our allocated space # df -h Filesystem size used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberdemon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining User Consumption in solaris

Inorder to find the user memory consumption I used the command: prstat -s cpu -a -n 10 But now I want to automate it and want to write the output to a file. How can I write the out put of user name and percentage of consumption alone to an output file.? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineer
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to check power consumption of Solaris servers ?

hi friends, we are relocating our DC and need to plan out electrical power for the new DC. are there ways i could find the actual power consumption from my current servers ? instead of the product specs. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Problem with Swap consumption

Hi Experts, I have M4000 server with 132 GB Physical memory. 4 sparse zones are running under this server, which are running multiple applications. I am not getting any pointer, where swap space is getting consumed. Almost 97% of swap space is being used. I checked all /tmp (of zones as well),... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Swap Solaris 5.10

I have a customers that is getting grid alerts that swap is over 95% utilized. When I do swap -l on the machine I get the following results. $ swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /swap/swapfile - 16 6291440 6291440 /swap/swapfile2 - 16 8191984... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael.McGraw
18 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 swap device and filesystem

Hi all, Q1) Due to application requirement, i am required to have more swap space. Currently my swap is on a partition with 32GB. I have another partition with 100GB, but it already has a UFS filesystem on it. Can i just swap -d /dev/dsk/current32gb and swap -a /dev/dsk/ufs100gb ? Will... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
17 Replies
sf880drd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      sf880drd(1M)

NAME
sf880drd - Sun Fire 880 Dynamic Reconfiguration daemon SYNOPSIS
sf880drd DESCRIPTION
The Sun Fire 880 Dynamic Reconfiguration daemon, sf880drd, is part of the PCI and system bus hotplug framework. sf880drd starts at boot time. It has no configuration options and does not report any system status. sf880drd implements the Sun Fire 880 console-less system administration (per-slot pushbuttons and LED status indicators). It also manages various aspects of CPU/memory hotplug. FILES
/usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-880/lib/sf880drd ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsfdr.u | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), cfgadm(1M), cfgadm_pci(1M), cfgadm_sbd(1M), svcadm(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The sf880drd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/platform/sun4u/sf880drd Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 13 Aug 2004 sf880drd(1M)