Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rsh
Operating Systems AIX Rsh Post 302222918 by vjm on Friday 8th of August 2008 12:58:30 AM
Old 08-08-2008
rsh

Thanks for prompt reply. I haven't create .rhosts just specified both servers in /etc/hosts and started shell kshell login and klogin and it works.

But as you said Bakunin it doesn't asks for password which is a security hazard.

Thanks for your replies.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with rsh

I am trying to run a Perl script using rsh. I need to be able to capture the return code value, so the calling script can handle failures properly. I cannot modify the Perl script I need to run because we use it for all of our servers. Does anyone have a suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kscase
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsh

Hi, on .rhosts file of server2 I have : server1 user server1 root when I want to issu rsh from server1 to server2 : 1-If I'm root it is OK. 2-if I'm ordinary user I receive permission denied. What is the problem ? What is the solution ? Many thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about rsh

I have two host ( hostA and hostB ) , now hostA can use " rsh -l userB hostB " to rsh to hostB without input the password , it work fine, but if I modify it to " rsh -l userB hostB -n "ls" " , it will pop the message "Permission denied." , could suggest what is wrong ? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on rsh

hi friends, i've access to three machines mc1,mc2,mc3,on which i can log in as root. and in order to run a simple command on a remote machine(say remote) on which i cant log in,i use a command as; # rsh remote ls the above runs properly but if i do an ls on following it doesnt work # rsh mc2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxms755
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on rsh

Hi, i need to xecute rsh or rexec command in order to execute the script on multiple server. The problem i am facing is when i execute rsh command with login name and hostname it ask me password interactively can some body help me how i can pass password along with the command or how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deep022in
1 Replies

6. Linux

Help in RSH

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine. d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I entered the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsh

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine using RSH only d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

8. Solaris

rsh

How to enable rsh in solaris (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Rsh

Hi, I issue : rsh ****.16.0.151 -l root ls -l /tmp and I receive : connect to address ***.16.0.151: Connection refused Trying krb4 rsh... In hosts file of remote (***.16.0.151) I have : ***.16.0.202 root Can you help me ? Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

10. Linux

RSH

Hi All, Whenever we are giving rsh localhost date , it give an error "Permission Denied". RHEL 6 is the version, and we're logging in as "root". in .rhosts file I have mentioned all the details, and enabled rsh,rsync,rexec,rlogin in /etc/xinetd.d/ file Please suggest. Reg, Muzaffar (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
7 Replies
LOGIN(1)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						  LOGIN(1)

NAME
login - Begin session on the system SYNOPSIS
login [ -p ] [ -h host ] [ -H ] [ -f username | username ] DESCRIPTION
login is used when signing onto a system. If no argument is given, login prompts for the username. The user is then prompted for a password, where approprate. Echoing is disabled to prevent revealing the password. Only a small number of password failures are permitted before login exits and the communications link is severed. If password aging has been enabled for the account, the user may be prompted for a new password before proceeding. He will be forced to provide his old password and the new password before continuing. Please refer to passwd(1) for more information. The user and group ID will be set according to their values in the file. There is one exception if the user ID is zero: in this case, only the primary group ID of the account is set. This should prevent that the system adminitrator cannot login in case of network problems. The value for $HOME, $SHELL, $PATH, $LOGNAME, and $MAIL are set according to the appropriate fields in the password entry. $PATH defaults to /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:. for normal users, and to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin for root if not other configured. The environment variable $TERM will be preserved, if it exists (other environment variables are preserved if the -p option is given) or be initialize to the terminal type on your tty line, as specified in /etc/ttytype. Then the user's shell is started. If no shell is specified for the user in /etc/passwd, then /bin/sh is used. If there is no directory specified in /etc/passwd, then / is used (the home directory is checked for the .hushlogin file described above). login reads the /etc/login.defs(5) configuration file. Please refer to this documenation for options which could be set. OPTIONS
-p Used by getty(8) to tell login not to destroy the environment -f Used to skip a second login authentication. This option is deprecated and should not be used. It does specifically not work for root. Using this option also means, that not all PAM functions are called. -h Used by other servers (i.e., telnetd(8)) to pass the name of the remote host to login so that it may be placed in utmp and wtmp. Only the superuser may use this option. -H Used by other servers (i.e., telnetd(8)) to tell login that printing the hostname should be suppressed in the login: prompt. FILES
/var/run/utmp - list of current login sessins /var/log/wtmp - list of previous login sessions /etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted passwords and age information /etc/motd - system message file /etc/login.defs - configuration file SEE ALSO
init(8), getty(8), mail(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), environ(7), shutdown(8), login.defs(5) BUGS
A recursive login, as used to be possible in the good old days, no longer works; for most purposes su(1) is a satisfactory substitute. Indeed, for security reasons, login does a vhangup() system call to remove any possible listening processes on the tty. This is to avoid password sniffing. If one uses the command "login", then the surrounding shell gets killed by vhangup() because it's no longer the true owner of the tty. This can be avoided by using "exec login" in a top-level shell or xterm. AUTHOR
Derived from BSD login 5.40 (5/9/89) by Michael Glad (glad@daimi.dk) for HP-UX Ported to Linux 0.12: Peter Orbaek (poe@daimi.aau.dk) Added new features: Thorsten Kukuk (kukuk@suse.de) PAM Login 3.32 2. May 2007 LOGIN(1)