Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: For Loops
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers For Loops Post 302222345 by broli on Wednesday 6th of August 2008 04:51:42 PM
Old 08-06-2008
using small, criptic variable names is one of the worst thing you can do.

use "counter1" and "counter2" and so on
its easier to read, easier to debug, easy to remember

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops?

hello....very new user to unix...and i have a question..i am not sure if there is such a thing For example...the user is asked if he likes Bananas....if he says yes.... echo You like Bananas $name at the end of the script it echos all that the user has entered so they can read it.... but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops within loops

I am running on HPUX using ksh. I have a script that uses a loop within a loop, for some reason the script seems to hang on a particuliar record. The record is fine and hits the condition in Blue. If I kill the 1st loop process the script continues on with no problem. Begin code> <Some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bthomas
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops

I'm trying to create a loop that will prompt the user for 15 values, not forcing them to enter all 15. If the user enters through one or more of the prompts the null value needs to be converted to 0, otherwise set the parameter = to the value entered: ex. Please enter file no #1: 17920 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with While Loops

I am traversing down a list, and I am not quite sure how to tell the loop to break when it's done going through the file. #!/bin/sh while : do read list <&3 echo $list done is the code. The file "list" is simply 5 4 3 2 1 any advice on how to break the loop after the file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the 2 for loops

#!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' A= a c b t g j i e d B= t y u i o p counter=0 found="" for i in $(cat $A) do for j in $(cat $B) do if then found="yes" fi done if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadharah
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I want to execute a script the number of times a user enters. Please can you advise on hor can I do the same. Many Thanks, Shazin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops with tr

Hello, I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the 'unix for dummies' or the 'unix for experts' forum because I'm new to this forum and this is the second topic I've discussed, but if you could let me know which one was more appropriate for something like this, please do! So in tr (an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
set(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    set(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
set - Read and write variables SYNOPSIS
set varName ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the value of variable varName. If value is specified, then set the value of varName to value, creating a new variable if one does not already exist, and return its value. If varName contains an open parenthesis and ends with a close parenthesis, then it refers to an array element: the characters before the first open parenthesis are the name of the array, and the characters between the parentheses are the index within the array. Otherwise varName refers to a scalar variable. If varName includes namespace qualifiers (in the array name if it refers to an array element), or if varName is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces) but no procedure is active, varName refers to a namespace variable resolved according to the rules described under NAME RESOLUTION in the namespace manual page. If a procedure is active and varName is unqualified, then varName refers to a parameter or local variable of the procedure, unless varName was declared to resolve differently through one of the global, variable or upvar commands. EXAMPLES
Store a random number in the variable r: set r [expr {rand()}] Store a short message in an array element: set anAry(msg) "Hello, World!" Store a short message in an array element specified by a variable: set elemName "msg" set anAry($elemName) "Hello, World!" Copy a value into the variable out from a variable whose name is stored in the vbl (note that it is often easier to use arrays in practice instead of doing double-dereferencing): set in0 "small random" set in1 "large random" set vbl in[expr {rand() >= 0.5}] set out [set $vbl] SEE ALSO
expr(n), global(n), namespace(n), proc(n), trace(n), unset(n), upvar(n), variable(n) KEYWORDS
read, write, variable Tcl set(n)