Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reg exp for sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reg exp for sed Post 302221712 by demoprog on Tuesday 5th of August 2008 03:45:23 AM
Old 08-05-2008
reg exp for sed

Code:
$ cat file.txt
asd
        <AA>dev
        <LL>def
        <RR>sha

This works for me: 

$ sed -r 's/^ .*<LL>def/\t<LL>my/' file.txt
asd
        <AA>dev
        <LL>my
        <RR>sha

But, this does not work for me:

$ sed -r 's/^\s+<LL>def/\t<LL>my/' file.txt
asd
        <AA>dev
        <LL>def
        <RR>sha

I am using GNU sed version 4.1.2. What I am trying is to replace "any space and <LL>def' with 'tab and <LL>my'

could anyone help me please on this regexp.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using reg. exp. variable in AWK??

Any idea please: How to pass a reg. exp. variable to awk call in a shell??? Thank u #!/bin/sh reg_exp=name awk '/reg_exp/{ print; }' $1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage...sed/awk/reg-exp ..in shell scripting

in shell scripting there is extensive usage of i> regular expression ii>sed iii>awk can anyone tell me the suitable contexts ...i mean which one is suitable for what kind of operation. like the reg-exp and sed seems to be doing the same job..i.e pattern matching (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reg: Query in sed

Hi Penchal, I would appreciate if you can provide me a brief explanation on what you are trying to do in the commnad below. echo "6-9-2008" | sed 's/\(.\)-\(.\)-\(.*\)/\3-0\2-0\1/g' Thanks Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patelamit009
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg exp question

Hi, Should be a difference between ']]*' and ']+' ? I use them in bash with sed and grep. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ynir
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract a part of a path like (input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp)

Hi, I need to make some extraction . with the following input to get the right output. input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp and input: aex1234 ===> output: ex Thanks for your help, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl reg exp

Hi, I am using the following piece of code for extracting some data from in between some tags ... $text =~ /<TAG1>(.*)<\/TAG1>.*<TAG2>(.*)<\/TAG2>.*<TAG3>(.*)<\/TAG4>.*<TAG5>(.*)<\/TAG5>/; $tag1=$1; print "\n$tag1"; But I am getting an error like Use of uninitialized value in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl reg-exp

$var1="LEN"; $VAR2="CODLENTT"; now, var2 contains var1(LEN).How do i check this in perl.... whether one string is a part of another..? if (<logic>) { my operation; } what'd be the logic.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Need Help On REG EXP in unix

Respected All, I have a very big xml in that i want to search only below 3 lines. <target name ="UpgradePrimaryBox" depends ="configureBox1"> <echo> Finished Upgrading Primary Box </echo> </target> grep -i "<target.*UpgradePrimaryBox" this gives me the first line. then i need to match... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script reg-exp , replace , open and write

Hi All I am a new in scripting language and I would like help for you guys I would like to create a file named constant.h and search into all files *.m in specific directory for a reg-exp @"LBL_]+" exp: @"LBL_75847" , and write those matchs to constant.h if there are not written (no... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: molwiko
15 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)