Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl syntax for sed searches
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl syntax for sed searches Post 302221590 by Annihilannic on Monday 4th of August 2008 10:00:44 PM
Old 08-04-2008
You use $ to refer to individual elements of an array, @ is for referring to the entire array.

Those nested while loops would be quite inefficient because you would be reading the entire SINPUT file for every iteration of the outside loop. I would read in the MOUTPUT file first and load it into a hash, using something like:

Code:
while (<MOUTPUT>) { @fields = split "[|]"; $moutput{@fields[1]}=$_; };

Then process the second file checking against that %moutput hash:

Code:
while (<SINPUT>) { @fields=split "[|]"; if (exists $moutput{$fields[3]}) { print $moutput{$fields[3]}; } ;

(all code untested!)

Obviously you will have a little more work to do to only print out the fields you are interested in, but you get my drift.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed syntax

Hi, How can i use sed command to modify a part of a variable containing "/" by another containing "/" like describe below: VAR="/app/share/eai" VAR1="/app/share" VAR2="/data/test" echo $VAR | sed 's/... ??? # using sed to replace $VAR1 in $VAR by $VAR2 ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What syntax to use with sed c\

I know that I want to entirely replace line 3 in my file filename.txt. I have tried all sorts of variations of sed 3,3,c\replacement stuff\ filename.txt with no success. about the only thing that causes any reaction is sed 3,3c\\ filename.txt but it just prints out the whole file. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusanDAC
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl syntax help

Im new at scripting and im trying to write a script using perl that will make sure there are 2 command line integer arguments and then check if the 2nd argument is greater than the first. i believe im close but still receive my error message even when i have 2 arguments and the second part gives me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - need help for syntax

Hello, here is what I've got : FILE='/OPERATIONNEL/SATURNE/CHAMPS/MASTER/ANA/SATURNE_1DAV_20080805_20080806_S3D_T_R20080806.NC ';;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed s/// syntax help

<tr><td width=10% style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>Package</b></td><td width=10% valign=center style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>JTs</b></td> This is got to be simple. I run this on the above .html file: sed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl syntax

I'm a newbie to perl scripting. Can someone please explain the syntax below. Specifically what does -> and => do? $tz->site( => $site); (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl syntax

Query with perl syntax Aim: is to change a perl script to use a new file I was required to replace - entries \"$entries\" with -lib <full_path_to_filename> So in the code detector.pm sub rundetector { my $class = shift; mkdir($resultDirectory); my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . .

Greetings! I've run into this before; and am having a spot of trouble trying to figure out the way that Perl would prefer the following example syntax to be formed:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; `sed -i 's/Hi Mom!\|Hi Dad!/Bye Everyone!/I' ./test.txt`;Perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewrite sed to perl or run sed in perl

I am having trouble re-writing this sed code sed -nr 's/.*del(+)ins(+).*NC_0{4}(+).*g\.(+)_(+).*/\3\t\4\t\5\t\1\t\2/p' C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_position.txt > C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_parse.txt in perl Basically, what the code does is parse text from two fields... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
fields(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       fields(3pm)

NAME
fields - compile-time class fields SYNOPSIS
{ package Foo; use fields qw(foo bar _Foo_private); sub new { my Foo $self = shift; unless (ref $self) { $self = fields::new($self); $self->{_Foo_private} = "this is Foo's secret"; } $self->{foo} = 10; $self->{bar} = 20; return $self; } } my Foo $var = Foo::->new; $var->{foo} = 42; # this will generate a compile-time error $var->{zap} = 42; # subclassing { package Bar; use base 'Foo'; use fields qw(baz _Bar_private); # not shared with Foo sub new { my $class = shift; my $self = fields::new($class); $self->SUPER::new(); # init base fields $self->{baz} = 10; # init own fields $self->{_Bar_private} = "this is Bar's secret"; return $self; } } DESCRIPTION
The "fields" pragma enables compile-time verified class fields. NOTE: The current implementation keeps the declared fields in the %FIELDS hash of the calling package, but this may change in future ver- sions. Do not update the %FIELDS hash directly, because it must be created at compile-time for it to be fully useful, as is done by this pragma. If a typed lexical variable holding a reference is used to access a hash element and a package with the same name as the type has declared class fields using this pragma, then the operation is turned into an array access at compile time. The related "base" pragma will combine fields from base classes and any fields declared using the "fields" pragma. This enables field inheritance to work properly. Field names that start with an underscore character are made private to the class and are not visible to subclasses. Inherited fields can be overridden but will generate a warning if used together with the "-w" switch. The effect of all this is that you can have objects with named fields which are as compact and as fast arrays to access. This only works as long as the objects are accessed through properly typed variables. If the objects are not typed, access is only checked at run time. The following functions are supported: new fields::new() creates and blesses a pseudo-hash comprised of the fields declared using the "fields" pragma into the specified class. This makes it possible to write a constructor like this: package Critter::Sounds; use fields qw(cat dog bird); sub new { my Critter::Sounds $self = shift; $self = fields::new($self) unless ref $self; $self->{cat} = 'meow'; # scalar element @$self{'dog','bird'} = ('bark','tweet'); # slice return $self; } phash fields::phash() can be used to create and initialize a plain (unblessed) pseudo-hash. This function should always be used instead of creating pseudo-hashes directly. If the first argument is a reference to an array, the pseudo-hash will be created with keys from that array. If a second argument is supplied, it must also be a reference to an array whose elements will be used as the values. If the second array contains less elements than the first, the trailing elements of the pseudo-hash will not be initialized. This makes it particularly useful for creating a pseudo-hash from subroutine arguments: sub dogtag { my $tag = fields::phash([qw(name rank ser_num)], [@_]); } fields::phash() also accepts a list of key-value pairs that will be used to construct the pseudo hash. Examples: my $tag = fields::phash(name => "Joe", rank => "captain", ser_num => 42); my $pseudohash = fields::phash(%args); SEE ALSO
base, "Pseudo-hashes: Using an array as a hash" in perlref perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 fields(3pm)