Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl syntax for sed searches
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl syntax for sed searches Post 302221558 by Annihilannic on Monday 4th of August 2008 08:06:46 PM
Old 08-04-2008
Have a look at the perlrun man page, specifically the -n option. This would allow you to write the above script as a shorter one-liner since perl looks after the while (<>) part for you. Probably not relevant since you intend to write a more complex script anyway, but useful to know.

For the second part, I would load the first file into a hash indexed by the comparison field, then read through the second file, and for any record where the fourth field exists in your previously populated hash, output the wanted fields.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed syntax

Hi, How can i use sed command to modify a part of a variable containing "/" by another containing "/" like describe below: VAR="/app/share/eai" VAR1="/app/share" VAR2="/data/test" echo $VAR | sed 's/... ??? # using sed to replace $VAR1 in $VAR by $VAR2 ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What syntax to use with sed c\

I know that I want to entirely replace line 3 in my file filename.txt. I have tried all sorts of variations of sed 3,3,c\replacement stuff\ filename.txt with no success. about the only thing that causes any reaction is sed 3,3c\\ filename.txt but it just prints out the whole file. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusanDAC
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl syntax help

Im new at scripting and im trying to write a script using perl that will make sure there are 2 command line integer arguments and then check if the 2nd argument is greater than the first. i believe im close but still receive my error message even when i have 2 arguments and the second part gives me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - need help for syntax

Hello, here is what I've got : FILE='/OPERATIONNEL/SATURNE/CHAMPS/MASTER/ANA/SATURNE_1DAV_20080805_20080806_S3D_T_R20080806.NC ';;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed s/// syntax help

<tr><td width=10% style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>Package</b></td><td width=10% valign=center style='width:5%;background:#F7F0D9;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in 0in'><center><b>JTs</b></td> This is got to be simple. I run this on the above .html file: sed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl syntax

I'm a newbie to perl scripting. Can someone please explain the syntax below. Specifically what does -> and => do? $tz->site( => $site); (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl syntax

Query with perl syntax Aim: is to change a perl script to use a new file I was required to replace - entries \"$entries\" with -lib <full_path_to_filename> So in the code detector.pm sub rundetector { my $class = shift; mkdir($resultDirectory); my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . .

Greetings! I've run into this before; and am having a spot of trouble trying to figure out the way that Perl would prefer the following example syntax to be formed:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; `sed -i 's/Hi Mom!\|Hi Dad!/Bye Everyone!/I' ./test.txt`;Perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewrite sed to perl or run sed in perl

I am having trouble re-writing this sed code sed -nr 's/.*del(+)ins(+).*NC_0{4}(+).*g\.(+)_(+).*/\3\t\4\t\5\t\1\t\2/p' C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_position.txt > C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_parse.txt in perl Basically, what the code does is parse text from two fields... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::RequireLineBouUseryContributedPerl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::RequireLineBoundaryMatching(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::RequireLineBoundaryMatching - Always use the "/m" modifier with regular expressions. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Folks coming from a "sed" or "awk" background tend to assume that '$' and '^' match the beginning and end of the line, rather than then beginning and end of the string. Adding the '/m' flag to your regex makes it behave as most people expect it should. my $match = m{ ^ $pattern $ }x; #not ok my $match = m{ ^ $pattern $ }xm; #ok CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. NOTES
For common regular expressions like e-mail addresses, phone numbers, dates, etc., have a look at the Regexp::Common module. Also, be cautions about slapping modifier flags onto existing regular expressions, as they can drastically alter their meaning. See <http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=484238> for an interesting discussion on the effects of blindly modifying regular expression flags. AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::RequireLineBoundaryMatching(3pm)