Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to kill top command using script? Post 302221371 by sysgate on Monday 4th of August 2008 10:15:44 AM
Old 08-04-2008
Why do you have to kill the top command in such manner, how are you using that command, can we see the relevant snippet of this script ? Else, you can always use "pkill -9 top" but be careful, this will kill any process with " * top * " pattern in the name, it's pretty harsh, so watch out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using of Top command as script parameter

Hi All I am interested at using the output of Top command which shows some important system paramter related to CPU usage. I want to write a shell script in order to manipulate this output of command and to take some statistics for CPU. Basically, I tried to redirect the top output to a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elthox
4 Replies

2. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to kill the process ID of a command after a certain period

All, I am trying to build a script in perl that will alllow me to pass the IP address to a ping command and redirect the output to a file and then kill that process after a certain period of time. let's say, I call my script ping.pl, I would like to be able to run it like this for example :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to stop a user giving kill command on a server!!

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and want to create a script with the follwoing description: I want to restrict the users from giving a kill command on a unix server. The server have a restricted logins with login id and passwords. I want a script that will find out if a user has given a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_scripting
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shell script - output of top command

I have written shell script to send file as an attachemt of email and output of "top -o res" command as email body. it works fine if i execute manually from prompt but it does not send "top -o res" command output in email body when it is executed via crontab. Any suggestions. My script is below:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: needyourhelp10
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script which uses “kill -9” command

i have one script which uses “kill -9” command. That prevents from getting the process core dumps. Apparently once tomcat lands in a confused state, we seem to have no other option, other than Kill -9. is there any other way to get rid of this. Script: sleep 2 PID=`ps -ef | grep "^tomcat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutayan09
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process from a file or directly with top

i have edited a script to kill an exact mysql process is causing the high load on the server, my problem is, kill dont kill it! script: #!/bin/sh top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld | awk '{print $1}' > pid proc='cat pid' kill -9 $proc or i try with kill -9 `top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandro
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to grep output from top command.

Hello, I want a script which would grep details from top command for specific processes. I m not sure of the PID of these processes but i know the names. $ top -c top - 16:41:55 up 160 days, 5:53, 2 users, load average: 9.36, 9.18, 8.98 Tasks: 288 total, 9 running, 279 sleeping, 0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trapping a kill command sent to a script and using it to send an EOF to a subprocess before killing

I originally had a script written in pure shell that I used to parse logs in real time and create a pipe delimited file that only contained errors. It worked but it was using a lot of memory (still not clear on why). I originally got around this by writing a wrapper for the script that ran on cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill top 5 memory uses process

Hi All, how to kill 5 top memory used process in my hp-ux. Thanks, Kki (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
9 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)