Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Advanced File Rename help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Advanced File Rename help Post 302220869 by rubin on Friday 1st of August 2008 10:43:26 PM
Old 08-01-2008
Code:
for i in *.asc

do 

a=${i%_*}; b=${i#*_}; c=${b%.*}

if [ $(expr $c - 183) -lt 1 ]
      then
         x=$(expr $a - 1); y=$(printf "%03s\n" $(expr $c - 183 + 365))
         mv $i $x"_"$y.asc
      else 
         x=$a; y=$(printf "%03s" $(expr $c - 183))
         mv $i $x"_"$y.asc
    fi

done

Try it first with echo, then do a rename with mv.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

advanced file renaming problem

I know this is probably a question for the newbie forum, where it is also posted, but I thought maybe some of you pros might like to help me out anyway. Here is my problem: I have to rename a batch of files that look like: 2001_0001.asc 2001_0002.asc . 2001_0548.asc 2002_0184.asc . .... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea krait
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename file based on first 3 characters of data in file

I'm looking to determine if I can use a grep command to read file and rename the file based on the first 3 characters of the data in the file. An example is: Read FileA If the first 3 positions of the data in the file are "ITP", then rename the file as FileA_ITP, else if the first 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jchappel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced Search & Delete Text File

I have a file in which email messages are stored in. Every email is separated by by a ^Z character (Control-Z). I need to extract all emails after the 65,00th one to another file and delete them from the original file. Any suggests on accomplishing this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxcell
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Advanced file transfer

Hey all. I need to transfer files from one system to about 5 other systems, and i have to do it manually, and we do get a lot of requests for the same. Presently this is done using a shell script, but it has to be run on each of the 5 systems. Also, a backup of the file needs to be preserved... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimus_1
6 Replies

6. SCO

Advanced File and Print Server (AFPS)

I'm looking for a 25-user AFPS license - this was a product available on SCO UnixWare 7.1.3 (was superseded by Samba in 7.1.4) Anyone have one sitting at the back of a cupboard/drawer/garage... I have a buyer lined up! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billbateson
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced: Sort, count data in column, append file name

Hi. I am not sure the title gives an optimal description of what I want to do. Also, I tried to post this in the "UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers", but it seems no-one was able to help out. I have several text files that contain data in many columns. All the files are organized the same... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesT
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Rename output file, after processing, same as input file

I have one input file ABC.txt and one output DEF.txt. After the ABC is processed and created output, I want to rename ABC.txt to ABC.orig and DEF to ABC.txt. Currently when I am doing this, it does not process the input file as it cannot read and write to the same file. How can I achieve this? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
rename(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						      rename(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
rename - Rename or delete a command SYNOPSIS
rename oldName newName _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Rename the command that used to be called oldName so that it is now called newName. If newName is an empty string then oldName is deleted. oldName and newName may include namespace qualifiers (names of containing namespaces). If a command is renamed into a different namespace, future invocations of it will execute in the new namespace. The rename command returns an empty string as result. EXAMPLE
The rename command can be used to wrap the standard Tcl commands with your own monitoring machinery. For example, you might wish to count how often the source command is called: rename ::source ::theRealSource set sourceCount 0 proc ::source args { global sourceCount puts "called source for the [incr sourceCount]'th time" uplevel 1 ::theRealSource $args } SEE ALSO
namespace(3tcl), proc(3tcl) KEYWORDS
command, delete, namespace, rename Tcl rename(3tcl)