Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to fetch substring from records into another file Post 302220662 by smriti_shridhar on Friday 1st of August 2008 10:44:53 AM
Old 08-01-2008
can u help me one more time?

The newer version is not working in case the substring is smaller than 70 characters.

Actually FILE2 is ouput of some other program and the substring can be as small as 10 characters and as long as 300 characters or more..

for the same FILE1, FILE2 can be--
bi|37779709|geb|AAP20876.1| 28 264
bi|146403769|geb|ABQ32294.1| 27 224
bi|146403769|geb|ABQ32294.1| 20 34

in which the third row needs to extract only 14 characters.. Smilie

-smriti

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetch substring from html code

hello mates. please help me out once again. i have a html file where i want to fetch out one value from the entire html-code sample html code: ..... <b>Amount:<b> 12345</div> ... now i only want to fetch the 12345 from the html document. how to i tell sed to get me the value from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch lines from a file matching column2 of another file

Hi guys, Please help me out in this problem. I have two files FILE1 abc-23 : 4529675 cde-42 : 9824532 dge-91 : 1245367 gre-45 : 9824532 fgr-76 : 4529675 FILE2 4529675 : Gal Glu house-2-be 9824532 : cat mouse 1245367 : sirf surf-2-beta where FILE2 is a static file with fixed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to scan a sequential file to fetch some of the records?

Hi I am working on a script which needs to scan a sequential file and fetch the row where 2nd column = 'HUB' Can any one help me with this... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manmeet
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sca a sequential file and fetch some substring data from it

Hi, I have a task where i need to scan second column of seuential file and fetch first 3 digits of that column For e.g. FOLLOWING IS THE SAMPLE FOR MY SEQUENTIAL FILE AU_ID ACCT_NUM CRNCY_CDE THHSBC001 30045678 THB THHSBC001 10154267 THB THHSBC001 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

make the name of file and fetch few things from log file

Hello All, I am working on a script where I need to fetch the value from a log file and log file creates with different name but few thing are common DEV_INFOMGT161_MULTI_PTC_BLD01.Stage_All_to_stp2perf1.042312114644.log STP_12_02_01_00_RC01.Stage_stp-domain_to_stp2perf2.042312041739.log ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fetch matched records from files between two different directory?

awk 'NR==FNR{arr;next} $0 in arr' /tmp/Data_mismatch.sh /prd/HK/ACCTCARD_20160115.txt edit by bakunin: seems that one CODE-tag got lost somewhere. i corrected that, but please check your posts more carefully. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
5 Replies
TEST(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           TEST(1)

NAME
test - check file types and compare values SYNOPSIS
test EXPRESSION test [ EXPRESSION ] [ ] [ OPTION DESCRIPTION
Exit with the status determined by EXPRESSION. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit An omitted EXPRESSION defaults to false. Otherwise, EXPRESSION is true or false and sets exit status. It is one of: ( EXPRESSION ) EXPRESSION is true ! EXPRESSION EXPRESSION is false EXPRESSION1 -a EXPRESSION2 both EXPRESSION1 and EXPRESSION2 are true EXPRESSION1 -o EXPRESSION2 either EXPRESSION1 or EXPRESSION2 is true -n STRING the length of STRING is nonzero STRING equivalent to -n STRING -z STRING the length of STRING is zero STRING1 = STRING2 the strings are equal STRING1 != STRING2 the strings are not equal INTEGER1 -eq INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ge INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -gt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -le INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -lt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ne INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is not equal to INTEGER2 FILE1 -ef FILE2 FILE1 and FILE2 have the same device and inode numbers FILE1 -nt FILE2 FILE1 is newer (modification date) than FILE2 FILE1 -ot FILE2 FILE1 is older than FILE2 -b FILE FILE exists and is block special -c FILE FILE exists and is character special -d FILE FILE exists and is a directory -e FILE FILE exists -f FILE FILE exists and is a regular file -g FILE FILE exists and is set-group-ID -G FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective group ID -h FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -L) -k FILE FILE exists and has its sticky bit set -L FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -h) -O FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective user ID -p FILE FILE exists and is a named pipe -r FILE FILE exists and read permission is granted -s FILE FILE exists and has a size greater than zero -S FILE FILE exists and is a socket -t FD file descriptor FD is opened on a terminal -u FILE FILE exists and its set-user-ID bit is set -w FILE FILE exists and write permission is granted -x FILE FILE exists and execute (or search) permission is granted Except for -h and -L, all FILE-related tests dereference symbolic links. Beware that parentheses need to be escaped (e.g., by backslashes) for shells. INTEGER may also be -l STRING, which evaluates to the length of STRING. NOTE: Binary -a and -o are inherently ambiguous. Use 'test EXPR1 && test EXPR2' or 'test EXPR1 || test EXPR2' instead. NOTE: [ honors the --help and --version options, but test does not. test treats each of those as it treats any other nonempty STRING. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of test and/or [, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Kevin Braunsdorf and Matthew Bradburn. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report [ translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/[> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) test invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TEST(1)