Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Can SIGTERM to main process kill the detached threads? Post 302220298 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 31st of July 2008 10:54:48 AM
Old 07-31-2008
kill command is for a process ( which in turn is the main thread ) and not for sub threads created out of main thread.

Shouldn't the main thread have a signal handler to kill all the threads it had created ( if it has to ) before exiting ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to kill threads in solaris

Any idea how to kill threads (not processes) in solaris? I had checked the man pages for both kill and pkill to no avail. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
9 Replies

3. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

5. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run a detached process

Hey guys, Just wondering is there anyway that I would be able to run a detached process that would continue to run regardless of me being logged into the linux host? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
4 Replies

7. Programming

Child threads communicating with main thread via pipes

I have a simple client/server program I am using for learning purposes. I have it setup so that after server is setup and listening it than goes into a loop where it accepts incoming client connections. After each connection, the client socket is than passed to a thread routine where it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Majortom71
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh child process not ignoring SIGTERM

My ksh version is ksh93- =>rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-3.fc13.i686 I have a simple script which is as below - #cat test_sigterm.sh - #!/bin/ksh trap 'echo "removing"' QUIT while read line do sleep 20 done I am Executing the script From Terminal 1 - 1. The ksh is started... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpoornar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to kill a thread among several threads belongs to a process?

I would like to know is there any we can kill a single thread among multiple threads belongs to process? Since Signal action is process wise not per thread, i strongly feel that we can not or for that mater from external sources as well single thread can not be killed which is critical section... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali242512
2 Replies
KILL(2) 							System Calls Manual							   KILL(2)

NAME
kill - send signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill(pid, sig); DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the signal sig to the process specified by the process number in r0. See signal(2) for a list of signals. The sending and receiving processes must have the same effective user ID, otherwise this call is restricted to the super-user. If the process number is 0, the signal is sent to all other processes in the sender's process group; see tty(4). If the process number is -1, and the user is the super-user, the signal is broadcast universally except to processes 0 and 1, the scheduler and initialization processes, see init(8). Processes may send signals to themselves. SEE ALSO
signal(2), kill(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Zero is returned if the process is killed; -1 is returned if the process does not have the same effective user ID and the user is not super-user, or if the process does not exist. ASSEMBLER
(kill = 37.) (process number in r0) sys kill; sig KILL(2)