Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Duplicate postings when following up on a thread Post 302219829 by era on Wednesday 30th of July 2008 07:02:39 AM
Old 07-30-2008
Duplicate postings when following up on a thread

My post count is probably inflated by something like 20% over the last few days, because the site often posts my reply twice when the load is high. Is there something I can do to avoid this? Is there something I should be doing to notify site administrators about the duplicates? I could click on the "Report this posting" icon if you like, rather than go back and edit down the duplicate to a no-op.

Also, should there be terminology to distinguish these duplicates from those resulting from deliberate cross-posting (separately posting the same message to multiple threads)?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending output to a file - Merged from duplicate thread

Hi All, read dif echo `date +%Y%m%d`|./add $dif|./fmtdt %mon%dd The above script is for adding days to current date to find the new date. This script divides the current date into 20060220(YYYYMMDD) format and pass this output to add script. The add script will add the days to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthu_nix
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

How to do postings

Hi All, Can you pls help me out on how to do new posting on this forum. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SGReddy
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Change in display of date of postings

I would like to propose to change the display of dates in the postings, which is currently mm-dd-yy. To avoid ambiguity, I would like to propose dd-Mmm-yyyy. Thank you for your anticipated consideration. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Date stamp on thread postings.

Is it possible to have the actual date shown, instead of phrases like "1 Week Ago", on threads list of postings? If possible, how do I enable that? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Svenus
0 Replies
PNEWS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PNEWS(1)

NAME
Pnews - a program for posting news articles SYNOPSIS
Pnews newsgroup title or Pnews -h headerfile [oldarticle] or Pnews DESCRIPTION
Pnews is a friendly interface for posting news articles. It will ask several questions, then allow you to enter your article, and then post it using the inews(1) program. If you type h and a carriage return at any point, Pnews will tell you what it wants to know. The -h form is used when invoked from rn. If your editor can edit multiple files, and you want the article to which you are replying to show up as an alternate file, define the environment variable NEWSPOSTER as "Pnews -h %h %A". You can also modify the the NEWSHEADER envi- ronment variable to change the header file that rn passes to Pnews. ENVIRONMENT
AUTHORCOPY If defined, contains the name of a file to which the finished article will be appended. Default: article not saved DOTDIR Where to find your dot files, if they aren't in your home directory. This is primarily for accounts which are shared by more than one person. Default: $HOME EDITOR The editor you want to use, if VISUAL is undefined. Default: whatever your news administrator installed, usually vi. HOME Your home directory. Default: $LOGDIR LOGDIR Your home directory if HOME is undefined. LOGNAME Your login name, if USER is undefined. Default: value of "whoami". NAME Your full name. Default: name from /etc/passwd, or ~/.fullname. ORGANIZATION Either the name of your organization, or the name of a file containing the name of your organization. Default: whatever your news administrator chose. USER Your login name. Default: $LOGNAME VISUAL The editor you want to use. Default: $EDITOR FILES
$DOTDIR/.article ~/dead.article SEE ALSO
rn(1), Rnmail(1), inews(1) DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
Not the speediest program in the world, but maybe that's a blessing to the net. LOCAL PNEWS(1)