Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to check if a string consist of any space? Post 302219683 by yang on Tuesday 29th of July 2008 10:22:25 PM
Old 07-29-2008
sorry..i tried using all these code..but it dun work
i have the following code

while test -z $username
do
echo -n "enter username: " ;read username
done

this code gives me an error if i enter something like this
a b
test: a: binary operator expected

thanks a lot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check directory space?

Is there some command I can use to check to see if there is 2 Gig of space available in a directory before I created a 2 Gig file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check space !!!

The have written the below script :- ============================ SPACE=`bdf /DATA_TRANSFER|awk '{print $4}' |grep "%"` TEST="96%" if then echo "Continue ....." sleep 2 else echo " Current space for DATA_TRANSFER is less than 02 %" echo " Pls clear space and than continue ....."... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamlesh_p
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk space check

Hi, I have a question regarding finding free space on the disk of a solaris machine. Many mount points are available in my machine. Right now i am using df -b option to get the free disk space available. I have an assignment to check free space on the disk. I pass the directory as a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check disk space

Hi All, pls go thru the below code and help me. when i check "df -k" in my solaris system .. it will show like below.. fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 20171281 2319266 17650303 12% /var /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 10085260 443854... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to build Shell Script to search content of a text file into a folder consist several files

Have to read one file say sourcefile containing several words and having another folder containing several files. Now read the first word of Sourcefile & search it into the folder consisting sevral files, and create another file with result. We hhave to pick the filename of the file in which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukesh.baranwal
3 Replies

7. Programming

Value printed by gdb does not consist with the right value

Hello, I find the value printed by gdb does not consist with the right value.The following is the output. (gdb) 7 while ( ( optc = getopt(argc, argv, ":b:B:h" ) ) != -1 ) { (gdb) 8 printf( "%c %d %s\n", optc, optind, optarg); (gdb) B 5 1-2 7 while ( ( optc =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 915086731
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if line has a space

Hi, I want to check if the given line from a text file has a spaces in between. if it does, then I want to add '"' double quotes at the beginning and end of the line. Otherwise leave the line as it is. For example, below is the sample content from my file. $cat file.txt test1 test2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Looking to check disk space

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to check the disk space and if any portion disk space usage high then write to one file, later will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jasminshakoor
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file for string existence before appending it with string

I want to append file with a string but before doing that i want to check if this string already exist in that file.I tried with grep on Solaris 10 but unsuccessful.Man pages from grep seems to suggest if the string is found command status will be 0 and if not 1.But i am not finding it.May be i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
2 Replies
ftphosts(4)							   File Formats 						       ftphosts(4)

NAME
ftphosts - FTP Server individual user host access file SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts DESCRIPTION
The ftphosts file is used to allow or deny access to accounts from specified hosts. The following access capabilities are supported: allow username addrglob [addrglob...] Only allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. deny username addrglob [addrglob...] Do not allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. A username of * matches all users. A username of anonymous or ftp specifies the anonymous user. addrglob is a regular expression that is matched against hostnames or IP addresses. addrglob may also be in the form address:netmask or address/CIDR, or be the name of a file that starts with a slash ('/') and contains additional address globs. An exclamation mark (`!') placed before the addrglob negates the test. The first allow or deny entry in the ftphosts file that matches a username and host is used. If no entry exists for a username, then access is allowed. Otherwise, a matching allow entry is required to permit access. EXAMPLES
You can use the following ftphosts file to allow anonymous access from any host except those on the class A network 10, with the exception of 10.0.0.* IP addresses, which are allowed access: allow ftp 10.0.0.* deny ftp 10.*.*.* allow ftp * 10.0.0.* can be written as 10.0.0.0:255.255.255.0 or 10.0.0.0/24. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftphosts(4)