Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Warning errors
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Warning errors Post 302219658 by Smiling Dragon on Tuesday 29th of July 2008 08:02:11 PM
Old 07-29-2008
The error message is saying that libpcap can't access the raw socket (so would not be able to tell it to switch to promiscuous mode). Usually a permissions issue (ie running as a non-root user).
The reference to the pcap user suggests to me that your version of libpcap supports the use of a specific user with rights to the raw sockets (presumably called 'pcap').

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

2. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

4. Solaris

errors on Netra-440: "IPC Warning: ipc: tcp_protocol: bad magic number"

I was asked to look into a problem with a Sun Netra 440 in another department. On the server in question, the relevant 'uname -a' information is, "SunOS host1 5.9 Generic_118558-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-440". That information aside, while the other admin is logged into the ALOM, these errors are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borealis
0 Replies

5. SCO

Warning and Panic errors

Ok my first post and its a good/bad one I'm sure I came into work and the server was locked up on the tape back up screen. My only option at that point was to restart the machine without shutting it down. I'm running an old server with unix and SCO openserver 5 I managed to find a 3.5 boot floppy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brian22
8 Replies
PCAP_OPEN_DEAD(3PCAP)													     PCAP_OPEN_DEAD(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_open_dead, pcap_open_dead_with_tstamp_precision - open a fake pcap_t for compiling filters or opening a capture for output SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> pcap_t *pcap_open_dead(int linktype, int snaplen); pcap_t *pcap_open_dead_with_tstamp_precision(int linktype, int snaplen, u_int precision); DESCRIPTION
pcap_open_dead() and pcap_open_dead_with_tstamp_precision() are used for creating a pcap_t structure to use when calling the other func- tions in libpcap. It is typically used when just using libpcap for compiling BPF code; it can also be used if using pcap_dump_open(), pcap_dump(), and pcap_dump_close() to write a savefile if there is no pcap_t that supplies the packets to be written. linktype specifies the link-layer type for the pcap_t. snaplen specifies the snapshot length for the pcap_t. When pcap_open_dead_with_tstamp_precision(), is used to create a pcap_t for use with pcap_dump_open(), precision specifies the time stamp precision for packets; PCAP_TSTAMP_PRECISION_MICRO should be specified if the packets to be written have time stamps in seconds and microseconds, and PCAP_TSTAMP_PRECISION_NANO should be specified if the packets to be written have time stamps in seconds and nanoseconds. Its value does not affect pcap_compile(). SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), pcap_compile(3PCAP), pcap_dump_open(3PCAP), pcap-linktype(7) 1 July 2013 PCAP_OPEN_DEAD(3PCAP)