Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get the data from line number 1 to line number 100 of a file Post 302218532 by Anji on Friday 25th of July 2008 11:41:09 AM
Old 07-25-2008
CPU & Memory how to get the data from line number 1 to line number 100 of a file

Hi Everybody,
I am trying to write a script that will get some perticuler data from a file and redirect to a file.

My Question is,
I have a Very huge file,In that file I have my required data is started from 25th line and it will ends in 100th line.
I know the line numbers, I need to get all the data started from 25th line to 100th line. How to do that with Shell script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending the line number and a seperator to each line of a file ?

Hi, I am a newb as far as shell scripting and SED goes so bear with me on this one. I want to basically append to each line in a file a delimiter character and the line's line number e.g Change the file from :- aaaaaa bbbbbb cccccc to:- aaaaaa;1 bbbbbb;2 cccccc;3 I have worked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjcwhite
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find line number of bad data in large file

Hi Forum. I was trying to search the following scenario on the forum but was not able to. Let's say that I have a very large file that has some bad data in it (for ex: 0.0015 in the 12th column) and I would like to find the line number and remove that particular line. What's the easiest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write $line number into textfile and read from line number

Hello everyone, I don't really know anything about scripting, but I have to manage to make this script, out of necessity. #!/bin/bash while read -r line; do #I'm reading from a big wordlist instructions using $line done Is there a way to automatically write the $line number the script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first number of each line in a file with another number

Hi, I have a set of files in a directory that I have to read and replace the first occurrence of a number with another dummy number. This is what I have so far but it does not seem to work. The files have lot of other data in each row and each data element is separated by ,@, for file in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut from specific line number to a line number

Hi All, I've a file like this.. Sheet1 a,1 a,2 a,3 a,4 a,5 Sheet2 a,6 a,7 a,8 a,9 a,10 Sheet3 a,11 a,12 a,13 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies
rc(1M)																	    rc(1M)

NAME
rc - general purpose sequencer invoked upon entering new run level SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The shell script is the general sequencer invoked upon entering a new run level via the command (where N equals 0-6). The script is typi- cally invoked by the corresponding entry in the file as follows: is the startup and shutdown sequencer script. There is only one sequencer script and it handles all of the sequencer directories. This script sequences the scripts in the appropriate sequencer directories in alphabetical order as defined by the shell and invokes them as either startup or kill scripts. If a transition from a lower to a higher run level (i.e., init state) occurs, the start scripts for the new run level and all intermediate levels between the old and new level are executed. If a transition from a higher to a lower run level occurs, the kill scripts for the new run level and all intermediate levels between the old and new level are executed. If a start script link (e.g., in sequencer N has a stop action, the corresponding kill script should be placed in sequencer (e.g., Actions started in level N should be stopped in level This way, a system shutdown (e.g., transition from level 3 directly to level 0) will result in all subsystems being stopped. Start and Kill Scripts In many cases, a startup script will have both a start and a kill action. For example, the inetd script starts the Internet daemon in the start case, and kills that process in the stop case. Instead of two separate scripts, only one exists, which accepts both the and argu- ments and executes the correct code. In some cases, only a start action will be applicable. If this is the case, and if the action is specified, the script should produce a usage message and exit with an error. In general, scripts should look at their arguments and pro- duce error messages if bad arguments are present. When a script executes properly, it must exit with a return value of zero. If an error condition exists, the return value must be nonzero. Naming Conventions The startup and shutdown scripts (referred to as startup scripts hereafter) exist in the directory, named after the subsystem they control. For example, the script controls starting up the daemon. The contents of sequencer directories consist of symbolic links to startup scripts in These symbolic links must follow a strict naming convention, as noted in the various fields of this example: where the fields are defined as follows: The sequencer directory is numbered to reflect the run level for which its contents will be executed. In this case, start scripts in this directory will be executed upon entering run level 2 from run level 1, and kill scripts will be executed upon entering run level 2 from run level 3. The first character of a sequencer link name determines whether the script is executed as a start script (if the character is or as a kill script (if the character is A three digit number is used for sequencing scripts within the sequencer directory. Scripts are executed by type (start or kill) in alphabetical order as defined by the shell. Although it is not recommended, two scripts may share the same sequence number. The name of the startup script follows the sequence number. The startup script name must be the same name as the script to which this sequencer entry is linked. In this exam- ple, the link points to Note that short file name systems require file names of 14 or less characters. This means that the fourth field is limited to 10 or fewer characters. Scripts are executed in alphabetical order. The entire file name of the script is used for alphabetical ordering purposes. When ordering start and kill script links, note that subsystems started in any given order should be stopped in the reverse order to eliminate any dependencies between subsystems. This means that kill scripts will generally not have the same numbers as their start script counterparts. For example, if two subsystems must be started in a given order due to dependencies (e.g., followed by the kill counterparts to these scripts must be numbered so that the subsystems are stopped in the opposite order in which they were started (e.g., followed by Also keep in mind that kill scripts for a start script in directory will reside in For example, and might be start/kill counterparts. Arguments The startup/shutdown scripts should be able to recognize the following four arguments (where applicable): The argument is passed to scripts whose names start with Upon receiving the argument, the script should perform its start actions. The argument is passed to scripts whose names start with Upon receiving the argument, the script should perform its stop actions. The argument is passed to scripts whose names start with so that the script can report back a short message indicating what the start action will do. For instance, when the spooler script is invoked with a argument, it echoes This string is used by the startup routines. Scripts given just the argument will only print a message and not per- form any actions. The argument is passed to scripts whose names start with so that the script can report back a short message indicating what the stop action will do. For instance, when the spooler script is invoked with a argument, it echoes This string is used by the shutdown checklist. Scripts given just the argument will only print a message and not perform any actions. Script Output To ensure proper reporting of startup events, startup scripts are required to comply with the following guidelines for script output. o Status messages, such as must be directed to stdout. All error messages must be directed to stderr. o Script output, both stdout and stderr, is redirected to log file unless the startup checklist mode is set to the raw mode. In this case, all output goes to the console. All error messages should be echoed to stdout or stderr. o Startup scripts are not allowed to send messages directly to the console, or to start any daemons that immediately write to the console. This restriction exists because these scripts are now started by the checklist wrapper. All script output should go to either stdout or stderr, and thus be captured in a log file. Any console output will be garbled. o When a startup script returns an exit code of can display a specific message on the console prior to rebooting the system. This is achieved by creating a text file named containing the text to be displayed to the console. Note that deletes this file after displaying the message, so startup scripts need to write this file each time a specific message is required to be displayed on console prior to reboot. RETURN VALUE
The return values for startup scripts are as follows: Script exited without error. Script encountered errors. Script was skipped due to overriding control variables from files, or for other reasons, and did not actually do anything. Script will automatically reboot the system. Script exited without error and started a process in background mode. For return values greater than the action is same as return value script encountered errors. SEE ALSO
init(1M), shutdown(1M), inittab(4), rc.config(4). rc(1M)