Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Ownership problem using a CIFS-mounted volume Post 302218254 by mph on Thursday 24th of July 2008 08:09:10 PM
Old 07-24-2008
No, well that depends on the permissions on the local and remote server.
If you have wrx on both machines for the directories involved, then you don't need root
access. You would use your login in place of 'root'. What I gave you there was the very
least in variables, code, and configuration for multiple machines.

See what you can come up with on your own. I'll be more than happy to post a bit more of
what I have and the logic behind it as needed.

MPH

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stubborn file ownership problem! Argh!

Hi, I have Apache running well on a Linux server, with Samba installed. I do must of my work in Notepad2 on a Windows box using Samba shares on which I am logged in as a user on the box (non-root). I recently decided to expand into cgi-perl. My /htdocs/cgi-bin directory is already part of a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: questor
0 Replies

2. Linux

files ownership/permission problem

all the files and directories in my system are owned by root only.i try to(from root loggin) change the permission on the file but not permitted.can any one help to fix my problem .also while installing any software always error occur like no makefile available (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jop
1 Replies

3. AIX

CIFS Mount Problem in AIX 5.3 TL12 SP-01-1016

Hi all, We are experiencing below mentioned error on mounting windows Share on AIX 5.3 when we migrate our TL from 8 to TL12-SP01, we also checked the allowed password length for mounting CIFS which is fine(10 characters in our case). On IBM fix central site there is a fix IZ63140 for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
10 Replies

4. AIX

I/O speed to CIFS mounted Windows Share

I have an AIX box that mounts a Windows share across subnets. When I try to copy a 100 MB file to it, it copies around 2 MB/s. If I copy to another Windows share on the same subnet it copies around 12 MB/s. All I have is gigabit networks so I would expect it to go well over 12 MB/s, which is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory / File changes on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux

I have a requirement to copy the changed file on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux to a remote FTP/SFTP server. I tried inotify-tools, but this didn't track the modified files. Has anyone tried incron or any other suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SupeAlok
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Permissions problem with cifs.mount

hi, I have the following permission problems with cifs.mount : a share on a VNXe (EMC NAS) is accessed by two RHEL 5.9 accounts (authenticated by Active Directory); One account has read+wite permission to the share , the second one has only read permission. Both accounts uses the following... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarake
0 Replies

7. Solaris

In Solaries 10 how to mount multiple volume on same mounted point

Hi , I am completely stuck and not getting any clue to come out this . So looking for help Q : I have salaries 10 in server with that Dell Equallogic storage connected. in dell Equlalogic in i have 70 TB storage . I created 7 volumes 10 TB each . In Solaries 10 i have syslog server i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roahn Tiwari
1 Replies

8. Linux

Volume is mounted on two ServiceGuard nodes

Hey! I'm running a HP ServiceGuard cluster with three nodes. One of the packages was moved (not by me) from one node to another a few weeks ago. I just noticed that one of the volume groups is still mounted on the old node. Oops! When I run df, less space is used on the old node than the new. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tobiasvl
0 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6.1 : Problem with cifs and win2012.

i want to connect a shared folder on a server w2k12 by cifs "mkcifsmnt", but without sucess, i tried to do the same on w2k3, it works, but both on win7 and w2k12 doesn't work, is there any suggestions about this problem, thks in advance. My aix version is 6.1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aouiti
3 Replies
bup-on(1)						      General Commands Manual							 bup-on(1)

NAME
bup-on - run a bup server locally and client remotely SYNOPSIS
bup on <hostname> index ... bup on <hostname> save ... bup on <hostname> split ... DESCRIPTION
bup on runs the given bup command on the given host using ssh. It runs a bup server on the local machine, so that commands like bup save on the remote machine can back up to the local machine. (You don't need to provide a --remote option to bup save in order for this to work.) See bup-index(1), bup-save(1), and so on for details of how each subcommand works. This 'reverse mode' operation is useful when the machine being backed up isn't supposed to be able to ssh into the backup server. For example, your backup server can be hidden behind a one-way firewall on a private or dynamic IP address; using an ssh key, it can be autho- rized to ssh into each of your important machines. After connecting to each destination machine, it initiates a backup, receiving the resulting data and storing in its local repository. For example, if you run several virtual private Linux machines on a remote hosting provider, you could back them up to a local (much less expensive) computer in your basement. EXAMPLES
# First index the files on the remote server $ bup on myserver index -vux /etc bup server: reading from stdin. Indexing: 2465, done. bup: merging indexes (186668/186668), done. bup server: done # Now save the files from the remote server to the # local $BUP_DIR $ bup on myserver save -n myserver-backup /etc bup server: reading from stdin. bup server: command: 'list-indexes' PackIdxList: using 7 indexes. Saving: 100.00% (241/241k, 648/648 files), done. bup server: received 55 objects. Indexing objects: 100% (55/55), done. bup server: command: 'quit' bup server: done # Now we can look at the resulting repo on the local # machine $ bup ftp 'cat /myserver-backup/latest/etc/passwd' root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh sync:x:4:65534:sync:/bin:/bin/sync ... SEE ALSO
bup-index(1), bup-save(1), bup-split(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-on(1)