Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Machine is booting to maintenance mode. Post 302218197 by cheetobandito on Thursday 24th of July 2008 03:28:15 PM
Old 07-24-2008
Data Machine is booting to maintenance mode.

I had a power failure the other day and when my relatively new Solaris 10 machine rebooted it is thrown into maintenance mode.

I've found the following lines in the /var/adm/messages file, I'm assuming this is the root cause of the problem. However, I don't have the slightest idea on how to correct it.

Code:
Jul 18 17:14:55 SunFile svc.startd[7]: [ID 652011 daemon.warning] svc:/network/rpc/bind:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/rpc-bind start" failed with exit status 1.
Jul 18 17:14:56 SunFile rpcbind: [ID 126418 daemon.error] could not read /etc/netconfig
Jul 18 17:14:56 SunFile svc.startd[7]: [ID 652011 daemon.warning] svc:/network/rpc/bind:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/rpc-bind start" failed with exit status 1.
Jul 18 17:14:56 SunFile rpcbind: [ID 126418 daemon.error] could not read /etc/netconfig
Jul 18 17:14:56 SunFile svc.startd[7]: [ID 652011 daemon.warning] svc:/network/rpc/bind:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/rpc-bind start" failed with exit status 1.
Jul 18 17:14:56 SunFile svc.startd[7]: [ID 748625 daemon.error] network/rpc/bind:default failed: transitioned to maintenance (see 'svcs -xv' for details)
Jul 18 17:15:00 SunFile sendmail[333]: [ID 702911 mail.crit] My unqualified host name (SunFile) unknown; sleeping for retry
Jul 18 17:15:00 SunFile sendmail[334]: [ID 702911 mail.crit] My unqualified host name (SunFile) unknown; sleeping for retry
Jul 18 17:15:02 SunFile inetd[310]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Failed to register version 1 of RPC service instance svc:/application/font/stfsloader:default, netid ticotsord
Jul 18 17:15:02 SunFile inetd[310]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Too many bind failures for instance svc:/application/font/stfsloader:default, transitioning to maintenance
Jul 18 17:15:02 SunFile inetd[310]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Failed to register version 1 of RPC service instance svc:/network/security/ktkt_warn:default, netid ticotsord
Jul 18 17:15:02 SunFile inetd[310]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Too many bind failures for instance svc:/network/security/ktkt_warn:default, transitioning to maintenance
Jul 18 17:15:03 SunFile inetd[310]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Failed to register version 1 of RPC service instance svc:/network/rpc-100235_1/rpc_ticotsord:default, netid ticotsord
Jul 18 17:15:03 SunFile inetd[310]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Too many bind failures for instance svc:/network/rpc-100235_1/rpc_ticotsord:default, transitioning to maintenance
Jul 18 17:15:04 SunFile kcfd[158]: [ID 418942 user.error] kcfd: unable to open certificate dir /etc/crypto/certs: Permission denied 
Jul 18 17:15:04 SunFile kcfd[158]: [ID 821307 user.error] kcfd: unable to find a certificate for DN: O=Sun Microsystems Inc, OU=Solaris Cryptographic Framework, CN=SunOS 5.10
Jul 18 17:15:04 SunFile fmd[344]: [ID 234283 user.error] libpkcs11: /usr/lib/security/pkcs11_softtoken.so unexpected failure in ELF signature verification. System may have been tampered with. See cryptoadm(1M). Skipping this plug-in.
Jul 18 17:16:00 SunFile sendmail[333]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (SunFile) -- using short name

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Maintenance mode boot(MMB) and recovery

hi, i figured why i need to boot in MMB,some of which are missing or corrupt LABEL (LIF labeL ,i guess) on the boot disk. To explicitly corrupt this entry i think a simple dd will work. ok let me elaborate this issue: i need to check this functionality. so i have one LVM boot disk and one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mxms755
0 Replies

2. Solaris

FTP is in maintenance mode always

Hello All, On solaris 10 server i could see the FTP service is in maintenance mode always :mad: Could some assist? svcs -xv svc:/network/nfs/nlockmgr:default (NFS lock manager) State: maintenance since Tue 28 Jul 2009 11:47:55 AM BST Reason: Restarting too quickly. See: Sun... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Process in maintenance mode, why?

Hi, I have installed Hudson on a Solaris 11 server, using the installation instructions available at Paul Oswald: Hudson Solaris SMF Manifest. When I perform svcs -l hudson, I get: fmri svc:/application/hudson:default name Hudson Continuous Build Server enabled true... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Samba service in maintenance mode ???

I have a Solaris 10 SunFire v880 machine and I'm having trouble with Samba. Samba has worked on this machine but since the machine has been re-booted Samba has not worked. Machine details are: cat /etc/release Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC Copyright 2008... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Helpme !! ssh service in maintenance mode

Hi Guys, Virtual Machine - Solaris 10 ssh service is in maintenance mode, when i tried to disable it it got disabled but when i enabling it ( svcadm enable ssh) it is coming in maintenance mode...... Pls help (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
10 Replies

6. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

7. Solaris

DNS service is in maintenance mode. How to bring it back to online mode?

:confused: when i tried to look the status of DNS-client, it is in maintenance mode..... Please tell me how to bring it back to online mode...PLEASE TELL ME STEP BY STEP.... PLEASE... :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

8. Solaris

/network/smb/server goes into maintenance mode.

All I'm running an OpenSolaris system (Nexenta). When doing a svcs I see that/network/smb/server is in maintenance mode. I have run a clear on the service and restarted. I see the same service show online* for a bit but then, enters maintenance every time. In the service log I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcpatriot
2 Replies

9. AIX

How to put VIOS in Maintenance mode?

Hi this may be a easy question to answer but thanks in advance. So I was able to download the VIOS media from IBM and currently I am burning it to a cd/dvd right now. The steps I've collected so far are from the net. can you please confirm and add on to the steps if there are any steps... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adnans2k
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Maintenance mode

i booted into maintenance mode boot -- -s from the console I got the Root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass) I did control -d and then logged in it told me that I was booting into boot -s but after I did a control -d and logged in who -r shows ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: goya
9 Replies
hpux.efi(1M)															      hpux.efi(1M)

NAME
hpux.efi - HP-UX bootstrap for Itanium-based systems SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is the HP-UX-specific operating system loader utility for bootstrap. It is a native efi(4) application that can be run on the Itanium- based platform. supports the following options: Display the release and version numbers of the utility. Boot the system in tunable maintenance mode, also known as "failsafe boot" mode. This option will disregard the tunable settings and module settings in the kernel configuration, and boot with known good settings instead. Boot the system in VxVM maintenance mode, configure only the root volume, and then enter single user mode. The following commands can be given interactively from the keyboard or provided in an efi(4) file. Load a kernel object file from an HP-UX file system and transfer control to the loaded image. (Note, the operation is position-dependent). Currently, is limited to disk for booting. file can be the name of a kernel object file or the name of a kernel configuration direc- tory. The following commands can given interactively from the keyboard only after is launched. List the contents of HP-UX directories in detail. List the contents of HP-UX directories. Display the contents of the file. Change the contents of the file to string. boot Operation The operation loads an ELF kernel object file from supported HP-UX file system (HFS, VxFS). It then transfers control to the loaded image. In addition to the kernel object file, also loads persistent system-specific files from the directory and kernel configuration-specific files from the directory during operation. always assumes (the boot directory) as the current directory. For example, would actually yield: Along with this information, gives the sizes of the and segments before transferring control to it. The operation accepts several options. Note that options be specified positionally as shown in the syntax statement in the Options for the operations are as follows: Set the initial run-level for when booting the system. This run-level overrides any run-level specified in an entry in See init(1M) and inittab(4). variable=value Set the specified variable to the specified value. (No whitespace is allowed.) If variable is a kernel tunable parameter, this sets the value of that tunable, overriding the value in the kernel con- figuration being booted. value must be a decimal integer or a hexadecimal integer (with a prefix). can load only ELF object files. ll and ls Operations The and operations list the contents of the HP-UX directory. In addition to filenames, displays size and date information when used on supported HP-UX filesystems. For VxVM disks, only boot volume information can be displayed. To display boot volume information, either a relative path to or an abso- lute path can be used. setauto Operation The operation overwrites the contents of the file, with the string specified. showauto Operation The operation displays the contents of the file, See in the section. EXAMPLES
Automatic Boot This is an overview of HP-UX automatic boot processes on Itanium-based systems. When power is applied to the HP-UX system processor, or the system button is pressed, Itanium-based system firmware code is executed to verify hardware and general system integrity (see boot(1M)). After initializing the hardware, the EFI is launched. The EFI gives the user the option to automatically start any EFI appli- cation. After is launched by the EFI it looks for an file and uses its content for the boot string. Then it gives the user the option to override the sequence by pressing any key: If does not detect a key press, it initiates the sequence using the string. displays messages similar to the following on the console: If successfully locates the kernel object file, it displays the progress of loading each sections and the symbol table of the object file. Then it displays the progress of loading system- and kernel configuration-specific directories. Finally, displays the complete path to the kernel object file loaded and the size, size, and size of the load image before control is passed to the image. The loaded image then displays numerous configuration and status messages. Interactive Boot To use interactively, the user must interrupt the autoboot sequence by pressing a key or removing the file. Then interactively prompts for commands. SEE ALSO
boot(1M), hpux(1M), init(1M), efi(4), inittab(4). Itanium(R)-based Systems Only hpux.efi(1M)